What's new

SuperMoon! (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was hoping to get some shots of the last super moon of 2015, but this time I was the one stymied by cloud cover.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Last night was partly cloudy, so was able to snap a few shots of the waning moon before returning the rental lens (Tamron 150-600). I am mildly interested in adding a super tele to my collection, just because it's hard to time a rental period with cooperative weather, etc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can't believe it's nearly been a year since the last post in this thread!

From today's NY Post:

full

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Fox was showing the super moon during the Pittsburgh - Dallas football game this evening, so after the game I took a few shots. Luckily it's a clear night here in Michigan. Used my Canon 7D2 with 100-400L II and 1.4x teleconvertor, plus cropped the photo some in Lightroom.

NC7A3267-X3.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
GREAT shot!

That Orion dude is freakin amazinG! I wish we had Betelguese instead of our whimpy little yellow sissy sun. A trip around that big ole thing would be all kinds of amazing instead of ... is the year over already?!!!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There will be a blue moon at the end of this month so I thought I would give this thread a bump. I tried to take some shots during the previous full moon, and failed miserably. Then I started Googling moon photography, and compiled a list of things to do. I am pretty sure I had done NONE of them. :)

My longest lens is a 200mm on a DX body, so that gives me a FOV of 350mm, which is still not really enough reach, I suppose. But, I will still give it a try with some of what I have learned.

Edit: More than just a blue moon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...on-blue-moon-lunar-eclipse-coming/1052215001/

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With a 200mm lens, even on a crop body, you will have to crop the photo quite a bit in post processing, Brian. The one I took in post #65 was with a Canon crop body, 400mm lens and 1.4x teleconvertor (total of 896mm equivalent field of view), and I still needed to crop the photo some in Lightroom.

Maybe you could stand on a ladder. ;)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
With a 200mm lens, even on a crop body, you will have to crop the photo quite a bit in post processing, Brian. The one I took in post #65 was with a Canon crop body, 400mm lens and 1.4x teleconvertor (total of 896mm equivalent field of view), and I still needed to crop the photo some in Lightroom.

Maybe you could stand on a ladder. ;)

Well, I do live at 6,000 feet. :)

I have contemplated renting a 200-500 (https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon-200-500mm-f5.6e-ed-af-s-vr) which should give me the reach I need (well, more than I have now, I should say).

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, a Nikon 200-500 5.6 AF-S VR is on the way from Lens Rentals. It should be here Friday so I can practice all weekend before the really big shoe at the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks