What's new

Superman: The Ultimate Collection DVD Set (1 Viewer)

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
That was never cut out of the movie, but like you said earlier, maybe he just forgot. Donner's memory is not one of his attributes. He expressed surprise when it was pointed out to him that the movie had an all new re-mix. He also said the extra Brando scene in the fortress had never been seen before. And I have no idea what movie he is talking about during his Omen commentary, but it sure ain't The Omen.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
If nothing else, it helps to explain the rather bizarre "Cheerios by General Mills" end-credit that was part of the original theatrical release. That one was always a head-scractcher and I recall many movie-goers laughing at the credit when it appeared on screen, since the Cheerios scene was, by and large, excised from the final cut.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Not true at all. The Cheerios box was clearly visible in two shots in the final cut in 1978. The shot of it being put out on the table and the reverse shot, where the box has mysteriously turned so that the logo is still readable.

If anything, you should have been confused by Burnell Tucker's credit.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Also, if this shot is not in the film, then the continuity gaff you point out no longer exists.

I never said that there wasn't a Cheerios scene in the original film. There is. But, IIRC, it is just that quick tight shot (the one you call a reverse shot.)

No Martha Kent with the Cheerios box.

No Clark eating Cheerios.

I think that's why people chuckled at the credit...

To say that my comments are "Not true at all," seems a bit harsh. If I am wrong here, then I apologize. But, I believe I am correct. This movie has been revisited and tweaked so many times (much like Star Wars,) sometimes it is hard to remember exactly what is in the original.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Cheerio box in 1978. I saw the film three times in theaters, including once in 70mm. The shot of her taking the Cheerio box out of the cupboard wasn't in the film, but she did set it on the table in the original theatrical cut. It is a very dark scene, so it would be easy to miss.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
So THAT'S where they got the idea for the "AIRPLANE!" credits- "A Tale of Two Cities-Charles Dickens" :P

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Getting out the box was added in 2001 (and the television cut). The two photos I posted above are both from the original 1978 cut. There's nothing to debate about that.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
I have Supe 1 on LD and there is a Cheerios scene, but I don't remember the specifics. I'm not pulling out the LD to check, though.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

Carter of Mars is 100% correct. The two shots of the Cheerios box were indeed in the original release cut of Superman - The Movie. Nice screen grabs by the way!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Haha. I was actually thinking along those lines last time I watched it.

That's gotta be rough on a guy with super hearing. Pretty smart of him to be outside in a field when she did that. No wonder he wanted to get off that farm!

Real Name
Robert

This is why I like the extension to the Brando scene. Brando cautions Clark against vanity, and it is Clark's vanity that almost gets him killed. Superman endures these brutal physical attacks in Luthor's lair with ease, but it is his over-confidence that is harder to tackle. Luthor tells Superman, "Don't touch that!" and Superman shoots him a sarcastic look that says, "Oh, please..." He should have been more humble and cautious, and this arrogance almost destroys him.

So the Jor-El scene establishes a sort of character arc for Superman, albeit a slight one.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I agree. There is a bit of smugness in that scene, and it gets just about wiped out of Superman by the end of the movie (although his desire catches up with him in S2). There's the look and before that the "Luthor, you diseased maniac! Did you really think you could hide it from me by encasing it in lead? I'll mold this box into your prison bars!" Yeah, a bit haughty at that point.

Then, after all his post-earthquake endeavors, he stares out smiling, admiring his work, all proud of himself...until he remembers Lois. (I love the editing there and no sound when you see him mutter her name. The execution turned what could have been a "Great scott!" moment into something quite weighty.) The kryptonite scene and Lois's death both helped to stop Superman from getting lost in his "Godhood." Even if he does go and turn back time afterwards, which you would think would boost that ego once again. But I think the point was more to get him to the point that he clearly cared more for people (particularly Lois) than he cared about the self-indulgence of being Superman. Of course, Lois, is what lets him give up Superman in S2, which he wouldn't have done before. Then he has to re-focus on all humanity when the Kryptonian villains show up.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J

This is something I don't see discussed to much about Donner's film and it's something that I've noticed since watching the film during the last few years. It's a nice little character arc that they gave Superman. Loved it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, I NEED this boxset! NEED! :D

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
It probably been answered b4 but what do you think is the best collection to buy? I dont mind other regions since I have a multiregion player.

Is R1 the one with 14-discs ?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Demis.. indeed.. the overseas regions are getting the 13 disc boxset.

Jacob

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
Hey! Finally R1 is getting something that the other regions aren't! That's nice for a change! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks