What's new

Superfriends (1 Viewer)

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
The All New Superfreinds Hour Season 1 Vol 1 is coming out next week! The descriptions of the special features at tvshowsondvd sound nice.

I recently got LEGENDARY SUPER POWER SHOW, SUPER POWERS TEAM: GALATIC GUARDIANS and the Filmation Aquaman series for Christmas, it's fun to watch these again (and the featurette on Aquaman is outstanding, rather lengthy too!)

It seems odd that we haven't heard anything about the next DC releases...are they saving stuff for the next release(s) to coincide with the next live action batman film? I am sure that the next super friends release will be season 1 volume 2 of the All New Super Friends Hour, but hopefully World's Greatest Superfriends isn't far behind!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, the next stuff in the pipeline is the new Justice League movie and a re-release of Superman Doomsday on high def in February. I haven't been disappointed by any of the superheroes releases yet and I doubt Warner will drop the ball now.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The ONLY Superfriends I care about is the original from 1973 (the Wendy/Marvin/Wonderdog shows)- why hasn't the first season been released yet??? I want answers!!!!

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
16 epsiodes x 42 minutes? It would be more expensive? I'm sure they'll get to it eventually. But I personally hope it's after the remaining latter stuff :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, they still have the original series, the World's Greatest Superfriends (is that the one with Dracula, Oz, etc.?) and the three seasons from 1980-83, correct?

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

They also have the 2nd half of All New Superfreind Hour (which would make sense to be the next release.)

Volume one will presumably have 8 of the 15 21-minute episodes and 24 of the 45 7-minute shorts.

The ad/boxart said 32 episodes, so thats what I'm guessing.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i just received my copy. I have watch a few episode and would recommend this series. I like Superfriends 1973, because it has Wendy, Marvin and Wonderdog. The show brings back fond memories of my youth.

The good thing like superfriends, Ark II, Sealab 2020, etc. is the message they leave around the environment, which is still prevalent today. We do not have enough shows that have these kind of messages. I guess the 1970s was different era to what we are living in now, but, some of the issues in 1970s are still very prevalent now, like clean water, limited natural resources, taking things that do not belong too you, etc.

So now we just need Superfriends Vol.2, The World's Greatest Superfriends, and Superfriends 1980-1983?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

So now we just need Superfriends Vol.2, The World's Greatest Superfriends, and Superfriends 1980-1983?
Yes, those are still to come. It would be nice if there was also the '68 Batman & Robin episodes and the SuperBoy episodes from the original Superman hour of Adventure series,and wrap up the whole thing.

I got the SuperFriends Vol.1 last week, and think the picture quality is great.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
We'll get the rest of Season One of Superfriends no doubt, but I have some concern over the rights of some of the later Superfriends episodes, especially given one leans very heavy on Lord of the Rings and another doesn't even to pretend to be anything but a ripoff of Wizard of Oz.

I know, I'm probably paranoid, but in this era of rights issues, who knows?

Superboy is also in rights hell thanks to issues with the estates of Jerry Sigel and Joe Schuster over the rights of the character. Think that and low sales are the reason we didn't see more seasons of the live action Superboy show.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

We'll get the rest of Season One of Superfriends no doubt, but I have some concern over the rights of some of the later Superfriends episodes, especially given one leans very heavy on Lord of the Rings and another doesn't even to pretend to be anything but a ripoff of Wizard of Oz.

I know, I'm probably paranoid, but in this era of rights issues, who knows?

Superboy is also in rights hell thanks to issues with the estates of Jerry Sigel and Joe Schuster over the rights of the character. Think that and low sales are the reason we didn't see more seasons of the live action Superboy show.
Isn't "The Wizard of Oz" (the book) in the public domain?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The World's Greatest Superfriends is only 8 episodes that are 22 minutes each. So that entire season can fit on a single DVD. They almost need to throw in a DVD of the 7 minutes shorts to make it a 2 DVD set and then include the rest of the 7 minutes as a second set.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
42 of the 7 minutes haven't been released. That works out to around 5 hours of show. Too much for one set and too skimpy to spread over two.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jeff Jacobson

Isn't "The Wizard of Oz" (the book) in the public domain?
Yes, but the episode has much in common with the MGM movie as well. Anyway, last time I saw the eps was when they were broadcast on Boomerang a summer or two back. I'd like to hope WB can get them released, but not optimistic at all.

Well, considering that WB owns the rights to the MGM film and Superfriends, what would be the problem with that episode? Dracula is in the public domain as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks