1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Superbit strikes again...this time for "Heavy Metal" fans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I just read Colin Jacobson's review. While not perfect, it appears the Superbit version is a significant improvement over the original. Keep the Superbits coming!

http://dvdmg.com/heavymetalsuperbit.shtml

2. Eric F

Eric F Well-Known Member

D'oh! This is actually bad news for me. Now I'll have to buy it. Maybe I'll just pass this by and wait for the HD-DVD version.[​IMG]

3. MatS

MatS Well-Known Member

the extensive supplements for this movie (on the original disc) are worth way more to me than the slight improvements in audio and picture, and I certainly don't watch this movie enough to double dip

skip

4. Eric F

Eric F Well-Known Member

Yeah- I just thought of that. No extras. Bummer- maybe I'll really pass.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Well-Known Member

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

7. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Colin Jacobson is the most critical DVD reviewer and maybe the most technical when it comes to video and audio remarks. I trust he is on target as I seem to always agree with his calls.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

This statement is enough to piss me off..

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

10. Why is everyone on this board so infactuated with extras I do not know anyone personally who watches ANY extras ever. The only thing I occasionally will listen to are the director commentaries and this is only with a handful of directors. I only care about the best picture and sound possible.

11. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Colin, keep up the good work.

As far as extras, I rarely watch them (only on a few movies). I would ALWAYS take a superior video and audio track over extras. The movie is what counts to me (so many people seem to have lost sight of this).

12. Eric F

Eric F Well-Known Member

Generalizations will get you nowhere. I happen to like extras, when they are done well. The extras on Heavy Metal happen to be excellent- including the one long cut sequence which is truly amazing and a work of art. Makes you sad it wasn't in the movie.

That said, I will buy a Superbit edition IF there is a significant improvement over the original. At this point I'm just not sure if it's worth investing into Superbit because DVD-HD doesn't seem that far away anymore.

13. Kevin M

14. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

I only care about the best picture and sound possible.

We're the minority Chris.

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Well-Known Member

16. Colin Jacobson

17. Kevin M

Yes, but it can't be "above and beyond your dislike for it" when you also use a statement like "..sounded lame to me" immediately afterwards, you already stated that you never liked the music to begin with so for you to also say that it hasn't aged well is rather redundant. Of course it hasn't aged well for you, you never liked it to begin with.
    As far as the argument of it sounding dated...you're seriously telling me that the Stones, The Kinks & The Police don't sound like a product of their time? Of course they do, as do The Beatles (mind you I happen to like all of the above), so it really does come down to a matter of personal taste as to whether "they have or haven't aged very well", to me this is a rather subjective opinion but you seem to present it as if you believed it to be an objective fact (at least that is how I interpreted your "And when I stated the music hadn't aged well, I meant that above and beyond my dislike for it." statement.).

As far as it being "Metal", #1 my saying "don't mess wit my metal" was a joke (I'm not sure if you understand this or not) but #2 I already stated that it was a mix of

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    well i love this movie and the music.
    i cant wait to hear all this in glorious dts surround sound.

i also have my recently purchased cd of the soundtrack that has 16 songs on it.
    4 of which are not heavy or metal but pop ballads.

but the rest is very good i think.

especuially QUEEN BEE by GRAND FUNK.

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Well-Known Member

I agree that presentation is important. But extras have their place as well. I'm first and foremost a film lover. Extras provide me with an insight into the various stages of a film and it's history. I find things like that fascinating. Do I have my priorities wrong? This is, after all, a home theater forum. But, if I had to choose between a superbit LOTR, or the collector's gift set that I currently own, I would probably choose the latter. Quality extras are in abundance and the presentation is impeccable.

Shabba Dabba Ding Dong. [​IMG]

20. Colin Jacobson