What's new

Super Mario Galaxy RULEZ! (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm on the fence with this game. I have a 3rd grader and she gets frustrated by Super Paper Mario very easily. Heck, I do too once in a while.
How does SMG compare to Super Paper as far as gameplay goes? I want to get it for her for xmas but I'm afraid she will be turned off by the words "super mario" because of paper mario frustrations. She just found it overall too hard.

I do like the fact that she could help me out with the 2nd controller while I play with the 1st. Maybe that is the saving grace here.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
SPM and SMG are two different games. SPM is much slower and the switching between 2D and 3D game mechanic doesn't have a counterpart in SMG. Actually, I didn'treally like SPM. It felt slow and I ended up wandering around not knowing what to do next. I'd get into fights just to do something.

If the game frustrated your daughter because she didn't know what to do next, then SMG will not disappoint you -- your objectives are clearly defined. If it's more a coordination thing, then SMG may be frustrating as well.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for your thoughts, Hanson.
I think I will get it for her. Yes, part of the frustration stems from coordination but some also stems from the exact thing you stated - not knowing what to do next. It was very confusing for her. We have pretty much stopped playing it because neither of us has the "energy" for it anymore. I don't want galaxy to be that way for us.
I'll give it a shot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TRU was selling their current inventory of strategy guides for 50%, so I picked up the SMG guide in hardcover for $15, bought another one for my second cousin since he's also getting SMG from me for his Xmas gift (the guide is really for his mom in case he has trouble getting through some parts of the game, and she'll have a resource to rely upon).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just beat the game- so much fun!

I have 107 stars.
I'm going back to get the others so I can get a complete set of stars and unlock everything.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You didn't try to beat Bowser/Koopa until you had 100+ stars? Scaredy cat? :P

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't go after Bowser until I had 99 stars. The path to get to Bowser is harder than any other start except for the Daredevil Comet in Molten Spire. Basically, I got all the stars I could, and then went after Bowser.

I had to finally return the game to Blockbuster, so I ended up stopping at 109 stars. On the table were the Molten Spire one and most of the unlocked ones. Most of the unlocked galaxies had me saying, "Oh Hell NO!" I am not enough of a hardcore gamer to get through those.

One day, when SMG is on the used racks for $19.99, I may pick it up and try to complete the game.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Really? Sure, I may have died 10 times getting to him, but I didn't think it was that hard. :P I went to Bowser right after I got the 60th star. The hardest part for me was getting past the quicksand planet.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm at 116 stars right now.
and I'm trying my hardest on the toy planet to get all the 100 purple coins from the purple comet.
The layout is the other side of Mario, that's a Luigi layout and all the floors disappear when you step on them...UGH! very frustrating!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There's a Luigi layout in the Toy Time galaxy? I thought I completed that galaxy, and I only went through the Mario one. If you're at 116 stars and the 100 purple coins one is bugging you, I don't think I'll have much of a struggle when I keep getting closer.

Although, the one that's killing me now is where you have to blow up all the trash in 30 seconds. I know how to do it, but doing it is a whole different thing. Grr...:angry:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Are you doing the bomb trash clearing the first time around or the second time around? There's two different stages of it.
If you're doing the second time around, I struggled with it untill I had to "look very closely at the layout"

I'm at 119 stars now. The only one left is this crazy ass Luigi layout in the toy galaxy, trying to collect the 100 purple coins. I actually did it, but died going back for the star

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Second time around. I didn't see the layout until I failed 15-20 times. But I still failed 10 times after I knew what I had to do, then gave up for the night.

I've died going back to stars sometimes as well. :angry:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well a short time after my post I acquired all 120 stars :)
I am now playing it all over again with Luigi
to get the extra level and star.

But now I think I'm going to also start playing Paper Mario on the VC.
Never played it before.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think I've come across a glitch. After obtaining 104 stars, no new comets showed up. I had to beat a level I had already beaten to have comets show up. This happened after getting the 105th and 106th star as well. Has anyone else come across this?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

I noticed this as well. If you go to the Luma that moves the comets around, they should be back after that.

Ditto for me on the Toy Time purple coin chase....I have given up on getting all 120 stars because of it. I like a good challenge, but this is difficult bordering to the point of stupidity....

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Thanks John. I will give it a shot. I also am struggling with the coins on Dreadnought Galaxy (the one where you are upside down a lot and have the cannon ball shooting at you). I think I can get that one eventually.

So what happens (aside from playing with Luigi) when I get all 120? Anything?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
The Luma I was referring to is to the right of the first set of galaxies (forget what that room is called now). In other words, to the left of the princess (not the one right next to her).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks