What's new

Super Cube Reference... for Awsome deal? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
If anyone say SVS in this post I will not be happy. I am not asking about SVS or anything else. I want opinions on this sub.

Now that I got that out. I can get 75% off of retail on Definitive Technologies. So I can get a super cube reference for $450! I work at soundtrack and they give awsome accomadations.

Is this a good sub to go with for that price? I just want some opinions on this sub.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
75% off! It's a no brainer at that price. If you really didn't like it after a few months you could easily sell it for 50% off list and make a profit to boot.

Only review I have seen of it is here. Pretty glowing, almost too good to be true.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I have a SuperCube One that I'm very happy with (slightly smaller than the SuperCube Reference). I would jump at the chance to buy the Reference for $450.

dave alan

Second Unit
I agree, it's a no-brainer. I've heard good things about the sub, too.

If you jump, let us know what you think :cool:

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Nousaine max output with a 10% THD limit. He hasn't measured the Reference Cube however. Both the SuperCube I and II performed very poorly considering their typical street price.

Definitive Supercube I
25-63hz Average = 103dB
25hz = 78dB

Definitive Supercube II
25-63hz Average = 96.9dB
25hz = 85dB

I'd also take any review that states 12hz is audible with a large grain of salt. However, if the Reference cube doesn't follow the pattern of a higher tuning point that the II - I does (inferred by me from the 25hz numbers and some basic knowledge on how a passive radiator works), at $450 the extra cone area will make it a competitor with other subs in this price bracket, at least from an output stand point. Sound quality for all I have no comment, haven't heard any of them.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Indeed - that gave me a chuckle. The first harmonic of 12 Hz is 24 Hz, and that is probably what the reviewer was "hearing". That, and the sympathetic resonances of various objects in the house, and possibly the house structure itself.

Sheer output aside (which I'm sure it has in spades), I'd take his Velo HGS-18 THX Ultra II and its distortion limiting servo circuit over a SC-Reference.

A shame the reviewer didn't perform any objective testing like ground plane and in-room FR and distortion at various frequencies and SPL.

Jesse - since not many around here have actually experienced one, and since you work for a dealer and can get 75% off, why don't you buy/borrow one for a weekend and put it through the paces. If you like it, keep it. You're getting a great discount, and I'm sure being an employee you can return it for a refund if you don't like it. We'd all be interested in hearing your impressions. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i think for the price, you should get it. take it home and try it out. if you don't like it or need more, put it on ebay for $1000 which it will probably sell for and then upgrade. either way, it sounds like a great deal. makes me wonder what the mark up on def tech is? i smell bose, LOL. about the glowing review on it, def tech puts out some serious money on advertising and having all the mags review their products. i think most def tech reviews are the result of lots of cash in advertising being spent. one day i'll have to listen to some myself and see what they really sound like.

eric

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
I havn't heard a sc reference sub from def-tech,but i have owned a def-tech pf-15+,and when i compared it to a sub that i bought from SVS, IT WAS HORRIBLE!!.The def-tech was
just a lot of muddy bass with no clarity at all.
I can't tell you how fast i threw that piece of crap out of the house,LOL.
I think there may be something to the idea that if a company pays a lot of money to a particular magazine then
theres a chance their products have a better chance of being looked upon favorably.
I bought the def-tech due to favorable reviews of the pf-15
that i read in a magazine.
Those reviews couldn't have been more wrong as to the actual performance of the sub,IMO.
Then i took a chance on SVS and i got to hear what truly
great bass sounds, (and feels) like!
I couldn't be happier :D
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks