What's new

Suggestions on HTPC (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
HI all,
I am looking to build a HTPC. One that will have the ability to record HDTV, and playback later (PVR). I would like to use HDMI and 5.1, either optical or dig coax- whichever.
My main goal here is to play HDTV on my plasma Dell W4201C (1024x768).

Also,
Is there a certain program I should get/use for the media center OS? Linux, or Windows? Any suggestions will be a great help.

Thanks,

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is an HTPC section in this forum, so this thread should probably be moved there.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
To be quite honest, I would probably just get a PVR. HTPCs simply aren't worth the headache anymore to setup and maintain compared with consumer products that are out there now.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy

Normally I'd agree with you. The thing is I'd like to watch HD material w/o having to purchase a HD DVD player. I have PS3 for blu ray. I have succesfully setup LINUX on it, to use as a HTPC, but you cannot play HD material, it is too slow for that.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I would definitely disagree with the "not very good video quality" part of that statement.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Loud? Only if you don't know about the multitude of quiet cooling solutions that are now available. Take a look at SilentPCReview.com for the best of the best when it comes to silent computing -- that's where I've found the most comprehensive information about silencing the modern PC. The gist of it is that big, slow-spinning fans are what are needed. If you already have a HTPC, swap all the fans for Evercool Evergreen fans. I've found them to be a very cost-effective solution for minimizing audible PC noise. The case you choose has a bearing on it as well. I'd almost prefer a tower case for a HTPC since the larger 120mm fan form factors are available only in tower cases.

But don't call HTPCs loud just because you've never gone to the trouble of seeking out quiet cooling solutions.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

You can add all you want to a computer including water cooling to try to make it quiet but there is not much you can do about drive noise. And the expense to do so still gets you mediocre video quality, no matter what software you use to try to make it better. Just can not compete with dedicated video processors for mpeg decoding, scaling, and deinterlacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks