What's new

Suggestions for system: 47', surround blu-ray, Netflix, and Amazon (1 Viewer)

phdbound2010

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new system that will allow me to watch blu-ray, netflix, and amazon streaming on a 47 inch screen and listen to it with decent surround sound. I want to mount this to the wall, and only have one stud available. I'd like to spend as close to $1000 as possible, and to avoid duplicating streaming capability on all devices.
What I have found so far:
TV:
JVC 47'", 60Hz, 1080p, no streaming capability-$650
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11746329
Blu-ray
Panasonic seems to be the only company that offers Amazon and Netflix streaming in their players/HTiB systems. I like their SC-BTT195 system-$290
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-BTT195-Blu-Ray-Surround-Theater/dp/B0078GCLU6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342038284&sr=8-2&keywords=panasonic+surround
Mount:
Kanto-$120
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11653962&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90607|87119&N=4047279&Mo=22&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=87119&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
Questions:
Is 60Hz enough? I will use this primarily to watch movies, and have found some of the higher refresh rates at friend's houses to be irritating (the "soap opera effect"). No sports.
Is the JVC TV a bad idea? Should I spend a bit more and get an LED TV that has a few more features (I just feel like I am wasting money as I will have to duplicate the streaming capability due to a lack of Amazon support).
Any other thoughts on the sound system?
Has anyone had success mounting the center channel to the TV in a swing out mount setup?
I have lived without a TV for almost 7 years. I figured I'd do it right and get a good setup. Thanks for your help!
-Drew

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First, I'd buy a plasma before I'd buy a cheap LCD.
Nothing wrong with that BD/HTiB combo. There are better ones out there...but...of course, they cost more money.
There are mounts to mount your center speaker to the TV...whether or not it, itself, is mounted to a wall...
This is one of many examples anywhere from $25-$125...
http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-VMCC1B-Vision-Channel/dp/B000EHU874/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342041854&sr=1-6&keywords=center+speaker+mount

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Drew,

Welcome.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sam. Would buy a nice
plasma before a cheap LCD display.

Understand, that display is going to be the heart of
your system. Buy something cheap and you will
regret it forever.

I understand budget might be a factor here, but personally,
if you are going to be stuck with a television for the next
few years, be sure it's something good that will give you
solid performance.

My suggestion is a Panasonic plasma.

Keep us tuned into what you end up purchasing.

phdbound2010

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Thanks, Ronald, and Sam! I hadn't considered plasma. Don't know why, I guess I subconsciously held the poor performance of early plasmas against the current generation. I'm glad you both pushed me in that direction, looks like that is a smart idea. Also, I felt like 600 Hz was overkill, and I figured why bother with something I don't need (like I said, I don't watch sports).
I looked into the Panasonic plasmas, and they look great with some good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50U50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VLRC/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt Apparently Costco had is for $630 a month ago, now it is $750, oh well!
Now my question is this. 50 inches is a tight fit in our bedroom. Being a man, I figured that bigger is better. My wife, however, disagrees. I'd be curious to know if you think that 50 is excessive if it is at the foot of our bed, about 12 feet from where we will be sitting. I thought it would be worth it to install an articulating mount to make it fit.
Any advice for the surround sound/blu-ray?
Thanks again!
Drew

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you can't agree on the 50", get the 46"...
Also, if you have an HH Gregg close, you might be able to swing a better price. Also, Best Buy has been known to match Amazon every once in a while.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Drew,

I suppose the display and Blu-ray/surround system is fine.

It seems that this is your first foray into home theater and
you are working on a budget. This is fine under those
circumstances, and based on the Amazon reviews, I think
you will be very happy.

If you were more inclined into building a serious home
theater, I would recommend you build it a little at a time,
spending more on the display, then slowly adding the other
components later.

Keep us informed.

phdbound2010

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Thanks Ronald. The Panasonic U50 is at Costco for $650, I don't think I can beat that anywhere. My other (hopefully last) question is about surround with limited space behind the listener. As we will be sitting in bed, there is at most 2-3 feet between our heads and the wall where the rear surrounds will be mounted. Will this significantly compromise the surround effect? Would it be wiser to get a soundbar with simulated surround instead?
Thanks again for pushing me to get the plasma. My wife isn't happy with you guys, as it will be a 50 inch and not a 46 inch. You can't please everyone!
Cheers!
Drew

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You'll get better surround sound from mounted speakers behind you than any simulated surround bar.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Drew,

Have you had a chance to check out Dolby's guidelines for speaker placement? If you're considering a 5.1 system, it's important to realize that the "surround" speakers in a 5.1 system should be placed to the sides of the listeners, not behind them.

The true "back surround" speakers are used in 7.1 setups.

Also, when shopping for HTiB systems, keep in mind that any 7.1 system can be set up and configured to run as 5.1 (you just won't use the back surround speakers). No sense in trying to shoehorn a 7.1 setup into an environment ill-suited for it. You're better off with a decent 5.1 setup than a compromised 7.1 setup, especially in a bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks