1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for receiver for first-time purchaser?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chumkey, Mar 26, 2010.

1. chumkey

chumkey Member

I'm new to home theatre equipment, and I just moved into a condo with surround sound built in. There are 2 rear speakers overhead opposite the tv, and 3 speakers in the wall surrounding the tv. I know a little about what type of receiver I'm looking for, but I was curious if anyone had any good suggestions for which brand/model to go with. I'm not looking to spend a lot, and it will be connected with a 42" 1080p Sharp, a standard dvd player, fios, and a Wii. I definitely don't need anything too fancy. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

Best bang for the buck (IMHO) are the Onkyos. Pick a budget and buy the model that fits.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    How can we help you without a budget? How many HDMI inputs? 5.1 or 7.1?

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    -Depends on your budget.
    -How many HDMI's inputs do you need/want
    -Are you willing to make certain consesions if you choose a low end model?
    -5.1 or 7.1 channels

5. chumkey

chumkey Member

I appreciate the comments. Like I said, I'm new to this forum so to some extent I'm still learning what questions to ask...

Budget - I'd like to stay in the $500 or less range if possible. Once I get a better idea of what equipment would be most suitable for my setup, I might be willing to go higher if it makes sense.

5.1 - we already have the 5 speakers set up in the walls. I don't see us getting 2 more any time soon. Seems like 5.1 should be fine. That said, I'll need to pick up a sub as well.

HDMI - Need at least 2, and a 3rd would be nice for a potential extra component down the road.

I'm definitely willing to make concessions for lower end models. This will be basically my first home theater setup, so I don't know if I would really miss or notice some of the things that more experienced purchasers would look for and need. Later down the road, I'll have a much better idea of what I'll be looking for in an upgrade.

Thanks again for your help!

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Chumkey,

Sorry I have not been around HTF much and especially since I had problems with a former roommate. Did you end up with a receiver? If so what did you get? Or are you still looking around?