What's new

Suggestions for receiver for first-time purchaser? (1 Viewer)

chumkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip Humkey
I'm new to home theatre equipment, and I just moved into a condo with surround sound built in. There are 2 rear speakers overhead opposite the tv, and 3 speakers in the wall surrounding the tv. I know a little about what type of receiver I'm looking for, but I was curious if anyone had any good suggestions for which brand/model to go with. I'm not looking to spend a lot, and it will be connected with a 42" 1080p Sharp, a standard dvd player, fios, and a Wii. I definitely don't need anything too fancy. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Best bang for the buck (IMHO) are the Onkyos. Pick a budget and buy the model that fits.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
-Depends on your budget.
-How many HDMI's inputs do you need/want
-Are you willing to make certain consesions if you choose a low end model?
-5.1 or 7.1 channels

chumkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip Humkey
I appreciate the comments. Like I said, I'm new to this forum so to some extent I'm still learning what questions to ask...

Budget - I'd like to stay in the $500 or less range if possible. Once I get a better idea of what equipment would be most suitable for my setup, I might be willing to go higher if it makes sense.

5.1 - we already have the 5 speakers set up in the walls. I don't see us getting 2 more any time soon. Seems like 5.1 should be fine. That said, I'll need to pick up a sub as well.

HDMI - Need at least 2, and a 3rd would be nice for a potential extra component down the road.

I'm definitely willing to make concessions for lower end models. This will be basically my first home theater setup, so I don't know if I would really miss or notice some of the things that more experienced purchasers would look for and need. Later down the road, I'll have a much better idea of what I'll be looking for in an upgrade.

Thanks again for your help!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Chumkey,

Sorry I have not been around HTF much and especially since I had problems with a former roommate. Did you end up with a receiver? If so what did you get? Or are you still looking around?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks