What's new

Suggestions for Home Theater Speakers Upgrade (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

When did I say I was only interested in stereo? And, I'm going to have to get a new receiver anyways. My mom wants to have a receiver in the living room, so I'll put this in the living room after I get a new receiver and keep the new receiver in my room.

*EDIT*
And, what TV stand should I get? It's a really heavy 26" Console TV. It has a base of 38" wide x 17" deep. Anyone got a suggestion for that?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
That's not 7.1. 7.1 would mean that you have two front speakers, one center speaker, two side speakers, and two rear speakers. There is no surround configuration that supports four front speakers, and there isn't a lot of support for 7.1 except for the high-definition formats, and I think it's going to be quite a while before you can afford that.

A receiver with A-B switching may support two pairs of front speakers, but you will hear the exact same thing coming out of the two lefts and the exact same thing coming out the two rights. There is no reason to get two pairs of front speakers unless they are different and you want to compare them to see which pair you want to keep.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Yes, that's 7.1.

I meant to put the 4 speakers I have right now as rear and side surround, put the new 2 fronts as fronts, the center as the center, and the subwoofer as the subwoofer. Not 4 fronts, just 2 fronts.

*EDIT*
Anyone wana give me a suggestion on a TV stand? At all?

*EDIT2*
What 7.1 Receiver is the best for under $150

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
What is your budget for the TV stand?

Good luck finding a 7.1 receiver for under $150. I don't think such a thing exists yet. Your best best is the Pioneer VSX-516 for $170 from Circuit City.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You're still going to have to pay at least $157 after shipping costs, so I wouldn't go refurbished unless it was cheaper than that.

Is the TV really 400lbs? I don't think most stands can support more than 300lbs. I'm pretty darn sure the thrift store won't have anything that will hold 400lbs. That's absolutely colossal.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
It's definitely over 250lbs, I'd say closer to 350 than 300 or 400. I definitely can't lift it. It's a NEC KX-2792 26" Console TV. A console is a TV that's build into a wooden console, here's a picture:

That's what it looks like, but it looks like they tore out the speaker in that one above. Mine still has the speakers in it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'd rather go with the Onkyo's but why not the sony? It's 1kWatts. That beats the Onkyo by 230watts and the Pioneer/HSU by 300watts. And, I personally think that those HSU's are "weak" looking and I never heard of HSU before this site.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Sony's numbers are probably inflated, and you'll find that to be the case with most manufacturers. HSU is a well-respected brand within the audio community. In general, specifications like wattage shouldn't be taken very seriously. The only way to truly judge an audio system is to listen to it. I think you'll be happy with the Onkyo; if you're not, Crutchfield is a great company to deal with and you shouldn't have any problems returning it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Even with the numbers inflated I'd imagine it being more than 730watts. And, I have no experience with HSU. I might get it home, turn it on, and be very unsatisfied. Do you know anywhere I can find out if I can hear them? 'Cuz I'm sure those SONY's are everywhere.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The true wattage could be half that or even less. Wattage specs are like snake oil these days.

HSU is an Internet-direct sales company. The only way to listen to them is to go to their showroom in Orange County, CA, or find a member here who lives near you who would be willing to give you an audition.

However, I think the easiest thing for you to do is give both the Onkyo and Sony a try.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
So, I would have to listen to both Onkyo and SONY? Or buy them both and choose? 'Cuz, I'm not made out of money. I'm only a 15 year old baggage boy at a Publix in Florida. So, pretty much HSU is outa the question. Is their any sort of device I can use to test the receivers to see if they actually are 1000watts? Would both systems be available at Circuit City or Best Buy? I really can't decide... Whatever, I'll go with the Onkyo's simply 'cuz I can't test out the SONY's against the Onkyo's and the HSU's.

*EDIT*
I just found this: http://forum.circuitcity.com/message...essageID=14335

So that takes SONY out of it. Now, should I get HSU or Onkyo? I'm leaning towards Onkyo based on the wattage, but which do you suggest now? The HSU's might be a bit expensive though...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I know you're not made of money, but one system would be going back in 30 days. But if you just had to buy one system with no auditions, I would go with the Onkyo.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Alright, thanks! :D

*EDIT*
Is there anything else I need for this? Wiring? Wall-mounts? Stands? Anything else that I should get?

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
For your budget and what you want... If you are wanting a new 7.1 reciever and nice speakers for low cost I would second the Pioneer 516. I have the sony 750 speakers running off an older 5.1 pioneer 514 and they sound great. For the money you wont find a better sub than the 700 dual 10" sony sub. I would stay clear of HTIB, you would not be happy with it. Then just shop around for a low cost center on ebay and use your other speakers for the 4 surrounds. That would be 200 for the receiver after tax when on sale, 200 for the sony 750s after shipping, and 240 after shipping for the sub...so a $640 system that would kick some butt, from your description of the sound you like, this setup would fit the bill.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm giving the receiver and 4 speakers to my mom for the living room. I gotta have new everything.

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I would still stick with the pioneer 516, sony 750, sony 700 sub (if you want a ton I mean a ton of bass) but the MTX 12" from Circuitcity for 150 on sale is also nice (it is my spare sub), and then some options for budget center would be the audiovideosource store on ebay primus c25 for $79, and surrounds would be JBL TOUR Venue Series from JR.com for $88 a pair. If you had to I would start with 5.1 and then get the extra 2 surrounds when you had the money.

But...This would make a great system for you, much better than any HTIB you could get for the money.
Pioneer 516 $200
Sony 750 $200
MTX or Sony Sub $150 or $240
Primus C25 center $100
JBL Surrounds $88 1 pair or $176 2 pair

And those prices would include any shipping charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks