What's new

Suggestions for Home Theater Speakers Upgrade (1 Viewer)

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

That is too funny. Bobby...Post the model number of your receiver. 7.1 just recently hit the streets so there is no way it came from the 90s. Can't believe I missed that. You should be good to go if it is a 7.1.

Time machine.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
R-V701 YAMAHA 7.1 Surround Sound Receiver.

It only has the first Pro-Logic, and my dad has had this thing for a while now.

Found it:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

*EDIT*
Alright, I was wrong. It's 110Wattsx7. The 120watts were from my crappy memory. Is this a good receiver to use? Or am I better off with a new one?

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
It has 7 speaker slots, and a subwoofer slot though. Shouldn't it be a 7.1? (well, if I got a subwoofer with bass-out I can hook up an infinite amount of subs! :D)

*EDIT*
Ohh ya, and where should I put these speakers, bed, and 26" Console TV?? My room drawing:

Be quiet! I know it sucks!

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
sounds like it to me. I was just going by the diagrams. Remember that yamaha likes to use presence speakers to accentuate the front action. I did not see any mention of it in the manual. The only thing I see is Front L R/A-B.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Ya, I guess it's 5.1 but it has 4 fronts instead of two. I'll probably put my TV over top of the vent. Umm... But that'd be a problem... Anyone got a suggestion for a TV stand that can hold a 400+lbs 26" Console TV? The dimensions of the base are 38" wide x 17" Deep. It weighs a ton, it's heavy as hell. It's a NEC KX-2792S. It's old, like early 90's. It has built-in speaker output ports (the speakers on this are crappy, but it sounds a lot better with the speakers hooked up.) Anyone want to suggest to me a stand? I would like it to be as cheap as possible. It's a light cherry finish so I'd like the stand to have a light cherry, or to keep it matching, a black finish stand. Thanks for all of your help so far! I'll post pictures after I get this all done.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
bobby, first off, if you don't really know, "white van" speakers are notorious on these forums as being really, really cheap-made speakers made to sound like very good speakers (I am talking about name-wise) by the white van salesman. They generally have the same sounding name as a very good brand speaker with a letter or two differently. I think one name I have heard is "Dogg" or something like that.

They are always touted (by their salesmen) as being very expensive speakers (maybe $2-3000.00), but because the buyer backed out or ordered too many or .... (put your own excuse here), these guys have them and their boss has told them to get rid of them at "supposedly" ridiculously cheap prices, like maybe $3-400.00. When they are probably only worth $40 or $50 or so. The idea is to stay away from them.

As I said in my earlier post, there are always tradeoffs, etc in buying this equipment. Your tradeoff is money vs time vs good/big speakers. I agree with aht3. You probably aren't going to find a whole lot better than the Sony's you've been looking at. If you've listened to them (or not), like them (they do seem to fit all of your requirements that you listed) and want to buy them, go for it and don't look back. Whatever you do decide to get/buy, enjoy them but keep in touch on these forums because you will always want more/upgrade. That's just a part of this hobby :).

Good luck, Frank

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Thanks. I'll get the SONY fronts and center. Now, what should I do about a sub woofer? Should I go with SONY for that as well?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My eyes must be deceiving me. I look at the specs for a pro-logic receiver and one person insists it is 7.1 and another reassuares everyone it is 5.1. It is neither. Pro-logic is not 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, 328.1 or any other form of .1, digital or anything of the sort. It is Pro-logic, which is a completely non-digital surround sound system, though it can is a digital processor. It takes 2 channel, matrixed audio and extracts a very simple version of surround. It does not have a dedicated sub channel like the current .1 systems.

This thread is making my head hurt. Time to drop back and punt. Online forums really are pointless sometimes.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, John, I downloaded the manual for the receiver and it has outputs for the fronts, center and rear, so I guess it could be called 5.0 if the digital sound processing is used.

Bobby, your receiver will only accept stereo signals, not surround. It can process stereo signals and manipulate it into surround audio, but the processing of a stereo mix will never match that of a well-done surround mix.

You'll need to get a subwoofer with a high level input if you intend to stick with your current receiver. You will need to connect the subwoofer to your receiver where the fronts are supposed to be connected, and you'll connect the fronts to the high level outputs on the subwoofer. The best subwoofers you can probably get in your price range will be the Dayton 10" or 12" subwoofer; they're $125 and $150 respectively, and you'll need to factor in at least $25 for shipping.

Dayton 10"

Dayton 12"

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I like the 12", but would that work well with those SONY Floor-Standing and Center speakers? Does the Subwoofer have to be voice matched? And, is Dayton a good trusted company? 'Cuz I have never heard of them before. (same with HVS and SVS)

And, about the receiver. I used to have a 500-watt Pro-logic II system that had a lot of bass. I used to love them, untill I hooked up the same speakers to this receiver. I said "Screw that peice o' crap!" and put the receiver in the closet (I lost it while moving, but I didn't like 'em anyways).

So, having Pro-Logic isn't required. As, Pro-Logic on this receiver sounded better than the Pro-Logic II on my newer receiver. Just to show you I don't care for a new receiver anyways.

*EDIT*
Heh, I just saw this:

If only I had the money... -_-

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You can trust Dayton.

When it comes to audio, mass-market companies in general do not produce good speakers. Sony may be good, but you may be able to get something better for the same price. Companies like SVS and Hsu don't focus on marketing their products so they make sure that everyone has heard of them; they focus on making their speakers and subs perform at a great value.

The only thing you really need to worry about matching is your fronts and center speaker. Subs definitely do not need to be matched.

Your receiver is really only a stereo receiver, but it is capable of producing surround audio. If you do not use Pro Logic processing, you will not have any use for your center and rears.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Alright, thanks guys! I'll tell you guys a week in advance before I buy these. I still have yet to buy a computer, and then have to save up for my speakers (unless you really want to convince me to buy the speakers first, as I already have the money for them)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to make clear. Pro-logic is just that, Pro-logic. The numbered surround systems are always meant to mean discrete digital surround systems, such as the various forms of Dolby Digital and DTS. Go ahead and call it 5.0 (though 4.0 is more accurate) but it will only cause constant confusion and you will receive incorrect information. For instance, any digital surround requires a digital audio connection, Pro-Logic does not. If you just call it what it is, Dolby Pro-Logic, there will be no confusion, at least from those who know what they are talking about.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If it's 4.0, does that mean only a mono signal is sent to the rears?

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I don't care about the pro-logic stuff, that's really only for movies, right? Anyways:

Anyone care to answer that question? I would like it to be kinda short, strong (HAS TO BE VERY STRONG!), black, and be at least 38" wide x 17" deep. It could be bigger, but not any smaller.

*EDIT*
And, since I'm putting it over a vent, it needs to have legs, or be above the ground in some way.

*EDIT2*
Do you guys think I should get a better receiver? If so, do you have any ideas for a good-cheap receiver, 'cuz I can't spend too much on a receiver.

*EDIT3*
Hows this receiver?: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ideEgau...0&I=257RXD206B

Thanks, Bobby

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. Some of them did some processing to make it seem like they weren't mono, but the matrix only extracts a mono signal.

Bobby, if you are only interested in Stereo, there is no reason to get a new receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks