What's new

Suggestions for a resort in the Mayan Riviera for my honeymoon (1 Viewer)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
So it's coming up real fast. We're getting married on October 21st. Right now I'm looking around for a honeymoon. We've decided to go somewhere on the Mayan Riviera because we've heard nice things about it and also (to get a bit nerdy, this is the HTF by the way, to get us all ready for Apocalypto).

So can anyone give me some good suggestions for resorts? we'd want an adults only resort and nothing of the "Girls gone Wild" variety.

Fire away.

Thanks,
Chris

SethH

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I went on our honeymoon to that region last year in May. It was absolutely wonderful!

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. When we were there it had two phases open (Kantenah & Colonial). Since then they've opened two new phases on adjacent properties that are supposed to be even nicer.

It is not an adults only place, but it is definitely NOT a party place either. The biggest draw for us was the price. We were able to stay in the nicest room they had (in those phases) -- the Mayan Suite -- for around half the price of the popular couples-only resorts in the area.

We would definitely not hesitate to go back there or to recommend it to anyone.

If you do some research and decide to go this route, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask questions here or through PM and I'd be happy to share anything I can.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
In looking around online, it appears that one of the two new phases -- the Riviera -- is adults only. You would likely still have interactions with other groups of people, but it sounds like they offer more than they did when we were there.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Chris,

My wife and I spent a week at the Riu Yucatan two years ago. We LOVED it, the people were great, the food was decent, the drinks were good. I don't know if it's exactly honeymoon quality, but it was great for a getaway. When we were searching for a place to stay, this forum was invaluable:
http://mytravelboard4.com/playa/

Tons of good info about the specific resorts. I'm sure if you posted a message over there, you'd get tons of good replies.

Hope this helps,
-Brett.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

Add my vote for the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. My wife and I were just there in March with 4 other couples (good friends). It was a group trip to celebrate our friend's 40th birthday. She had been through a lot in the past year, so we all thought this would help boost her spirits. We had an all-inclusive deal which was nice because once we got there, we didn't have to worry about toting money around and/or dealing with the currency conversion. Since we didn't have our kids in tow, we asked for accommodations on the adult-only side. It was fabulous!!! Dining was great, the beach was great, the pool(s) were great, the staff was great, the rooms were great, the weather was great...just a top-notch resort, IMO. We all had a wonderful time. Also, first trip to Mexico that no one in our group returned with Montezuma's revenge.

Just a bit of advice though...get travel insurance since you'll be going during hurricane season.

Here's a few pics from our trip. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge the picture (warning: the pics are large files).

Congratulations Chris...Good luck and enjoy.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Keep them coming.

So Armondo, I have a question about the "Adults only" sinde of the Gradn Palladium. What exactly does that mean? IS it just the rooms that are adult only? or is it a whole other section including restaurants, pools and a section of the beach that is Adults only?

Thanks,
Chris

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

Chris,
We stayed at The Grand Palladium White Sands & Riviera Resort and Spa. The Grand Palladium has 4 resorts in the Mayan Riviera. The other two are the GP Colonial & Kantenah and are next to the White Sands and the Riveria. We stayed in the "Royal Suites" section which is adults only and located in a separate exclusive section at the Riviera Resort. It has it's own private lobby & check-in, concierge service, and exclusive pool & pool bar. Only guests staying in the adults only Royal Suites can use the facilities at the Royal Suites. There is no exclusive restaurant in the Royal Suites section. However, there are 6 restaurants within the GP White Sand Resort and the Riviera Resort. Plus guests have full use of the facilities at the GP Colonial Resort and GP Kantenah Resort which I believe also includes dining at the restaurants in those resorts. If you stay in the Royal Suites, you pretty much have access to all of the GP resorts, so in essence, you are a VIP at the resort. The pools are awesome. We especially enjoyed the salt water pool which gave you the best of both worlds...a beach and a pool with its own bar (see the first two pics in row 2 of pictures on the web page that I provided in my earlier post). The salt water pool felt like an adult only beach because it is set pretty far from the main beach. Not too many people ventured out to it. I don't know what the Mayan Riveria is like during the fall as far as the clientele. I can tell you that when we were there in March, there were hardly any families vacationing at that time. So bumping into kids while at the pools, venturing around the resort, or while dining was not an issue. Also, the gym & spa at the GP White Sands & Riviera resort was amazing. Blew away any other resort gym & spa that I've ever seen.

Hope that helps...good luck. BTW, I saw on the Grand Palladium web site that it has a free room upgrade for honeymooners. Don't know what the limitations of the upgrade involves however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks