What's new

Suggestions for a high end sub....... (2 Viewers)

Scott_N

Second Unit
A used REL Stadium III could be had at your $2000 budget. It's almost as good as the Stentor III and retails for $3000 new so you might find one on audiogon or ebay or a dealer demo.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Seeing the Velodyne DD-18 mentioned a couple of times, I thought I would also recommend it. For one thing, I have one. It's the most musical sounding (with the adjustable servo feedback at max), and versital sub I've ever owned. As far as performance goes, there is nothing I can throw at it, that it won't handle. Even on the DTS track of LOTR:ROTK-EE, it just yawns as it literally rattles walls. Throw in the verstility of the built-in parametric eq, and calibrated microphone, and I think this is best Sub you can buy (barring the Velo 1812).

BTW, my neighbor has an SVS. But, when he wants to show off quality subwoofer performance, he brings his friends over to my house (true story, honest).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This thread has been pruned of irrelevant discussion. Anyone who has no interest in providing Jeff-O with suggestions in response to his question should not further participate in the thread.

Let me repeat that: If you don't have any suggestions for Jeff, please go elsewhere.

Everyone please remember that, if there's a problem in a thread, use the "report this post" button. Don't make the problem worse by debating it. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff-O,

When I first read your post this morning the first thought that came to mind was that I understand where your coming from. Bummer:frowning:

I have ran a few different svs options and not all (well one out of four) would not be my first choice in a sub. One of the reasons I like the PB12-Ultra/2 so much is the higher tuning point with it's ability to dig down to 20 or so fairly flat. It's Very tight and articulate. There are other higher tune options that I think would appeal to you much better?, but maybe your over the edge on giving another SVS a demo? If this is the case?> I as a SVS user feel slightly misrepresented in your experience with the 20 PC+, but I respect it. Some will and some will not like the 20-39PC+ plain and simple. Thankfully they (SVS) have many different offerings that appeal to such a wide range of users. A guy needs to be able to figure out what works out best for his individual tastes. Admittedly you might not like any of their other offerings and thats ok as you know. :emoji_thumbsup:

With that being said. I would be very surprised to hear you describing the same issues with other options in mind though. None the same maybe you wouldn't.

I hope your able to find the sub your looking for. Many nice ones have been mentioned thus far.

EDIT> I posted at the same time the administrator posted.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Im closely watching the Axiom Epicenter EP600, im really curious how the reviews go.

If it is as good as its write-up it may really be something.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Craig Chase,

im about 20mi west of cleveland. are you in the chardon area?

the revamped hsu is something i would definately consider, i have heard issues of port noise with the hsu but to be fair i guess i should give it a try. the shipping is a great deal more for the hsu than it is for the svs since im in ohio, svs is only about 1.5 hrs away.

i am willing to try another offering from svs, perhaps the box subs, tom i need your input here.

if i could find the tightness of the outlaw but with more range i would call it a home run.

a good friend has the Definitive SuperCube I, i must say it packs a punch for a small package. they make a larger unit, the SuperCube Reference. i never hear anything about Definitive, is there something i dont know?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I wasn't kidding. No need to devote further attention to Mr. Blkout, who has now left us.

M.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jeff - We are just across the Pa. border, west of Erie ... you are about two and 1/2 hours from us.

I would REALLY look hard at the Hsu option, rumor has it will have a MUCH upgraded porting system and it is a pretty good guess it will be similar to the Outlaw you liked, but deeper and more powerful...

I had a pair of "regular" VTF-3 Mark II's here and never noticed port noise, with the exception of when doing high output 16-25 Hz tests...

Hsu often offers free shipping, too... especially for an introductory offer.

And the offer to visit here is open...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
i am willing to try another offering from svs, perhaps the box subs, tom i need your input here.
__________________________________________________ ______

I really feel you would be glad you did. Nothing wrong with giving SVS another shot at it considering they're more in-tune:b to what your looking for this time around.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Jeff:

You are telling us what you DON'T like, what DO you like?

Did a friend or dealer give you a demo that blew your mind? Or do you think you are just missing out?

Maybe what you want to do WILL set you back 10 grand.

Again, anything we can use as a benchmark? Any sub or system you have really liked?

Let us know!

Claire Panke

Second Unit
If you want true "high end" but at a very reasonable price ($1695), the Thunderbolt by Nola (formerly Alon) is a terrific sub for both music and movies. www.nolaspeakers.com.

I bought a pair to go with my other Alons, but I really only need one even in my large room.

BTW, don't get hung up on the amp wattage for some of these powered subs, especially from high end audio manufacturers - the subs are super efficient.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Kenneth,

Recently while at a local dealer I heard the Paradigm ps-1200, I though it sounded surprising good but it was in a small listening area. The salesman was demo'ing it with Master and Commander at a very high volume. It did sound very tight and true but again it was in a smaller room.

The outlaw sounded good to me but it didn’t produce enough down low.

The svs gets low there is no question about that but it doesn’t seem to have that overall feeling of tightness; I get boomy bass with it more often than not.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You might investigate an Eq allowing you to have the frequency response that you prefer, rather than what a manufacturer dictates as "correct" or "flat".

I'm intrigued by that Nola T Bolt. Not only does it use a driver with "attack speed of a small woofer and the very deep bass of a large one" (cool!) but it is "is capable of shaking your home theater room the same as a sudden nearby thunder strike or earthquake jolt...Loud enough to provide more frightening low end impact than any competitor's subwoofer." Yikes!

Also some interesting comments on cone mass which, curiously, leave out any consideration of motor strength.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I may have missed something, but the one thing that I have not seen mentioned as you've tried to "dial in" your SVS is moving it around in your listening area. I have a SVS 2039 PC Plus and initially I had it corner loaded and I was getting mostly boomy bass. I was starting to think that it was just the way it sounded and was a little disappointed. But then I moved my sub out of the corner and it made quite a bit of difference. I have some room problems that could probably benefit from equalization (I have a big squarish room with hard wood floors). Once I moved the sub out of the corner it tighted up the sound quite a bit. Not perfect, but a big improvement. Just a thought in case you've not tried this.

Tim

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
EQ and placement are certainly things to consider, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is room treatment.

It's possible that the room itself is the problem. There's some wonderful information on acoustical treatment specifically for bass response here and here.

Once you're using reference level equipment, acoustics are the number one thing that can kill your bass response.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
unfortunately this the corner is the only option available, especially for a unit this size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks