What's new

Suggestion for 1st game for my 360 (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm going to pick up a 360 on Friday. What is the one game that you would recommend buying first?

My thought was Perfect Dark Zero. Any other suggestions?

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Dont buy call of duty 2, there is a game of the year edition coming out with all the new maps and everything included. If you want a different, fun game that is strategy based The Outfit is a good choice.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the tip on COD2. I played COD on the PS2 and liked it. So I was considering COD2. Now I'll wait to pick that one up.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Condemmed seems to be pretty good (real freaky) but it is short. Oblivion is really good too and has potential to last you a long time.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I picked the 360 up today instead of waiting until tomorrow. I'm not working tomorrow so I figured that would give me sore more playing time.

I ended up getting Perfect Dark Zero and Madden 06. I got Madden 06 because it was only $39.99 so I figured can't go wrong at that price.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
PD0 certainly isn't a bad game, but it's not the best the 360 has to offer. That nod goes to Oblvion. Perfect Dark is a lot of fun online though, but that being said, I haven't actually touched it in a couple of months. Been too busy with Oblivion and Burnout Revenge to get to it.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Need for Speed Most Wanted is amazing...

If you have a sweet home theater set up, turn off the lights and shut the doors and play Condemned .. it'll give you a few goosebumps...

I found PDZ gets old with time .. ditto Call of Duty...

My GT is listed in my sig .. friend me sometime...

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Bryan:
If you held off until this Sunday, you could have gotten Madden 06 for $27.99. There are two other EA sports titles and a popular arcade-style racer for under $30, all on sale at the same retail chain.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I haven't played PD0 much, but so far it's just OK. Madden is fun as always. For $39.99 I just wanted to pick that up until Madden 07 hits.... I'm a Steelers fan so want to check them out in the post Super Bowl XL Madden.

I've downloaded a few demos off Live Marketplace... COD2, Ridge Racer 6, GT Moto 06, Tomb Raider (I've got the regular Xbox version, just wanted to see the difference on the 360), and Top Spin 2. In a little while I'm going to download the PGR3 demo.

So far I love the 360. I ended up hardwiring it to my router instead of dropping $99.99 on the wireless adapter (50 feet of Cat5e was only $30.00). I've got a ethernet port in the wall plate in my livingroom behind the TV that is wired to the router in the basement so hardwiring was cheaper and should be faster and more reliable.

I don't know if I'll continue the Gold membership once the free month trial expires. Silver gets you access to download the demos and trailers, right? I just don't know how much I'll play online. I had my PS2 online and although I played online a lot initially, soon the novelty wore off.

I love being able to turn the machine off and on with the wireless controllers. Speaking of the wireless controllers, they are fantastic. It's nice having the game system in the living room without having controller wires cluttering everyting up all the time..... makes the wife happy. ;)

It would be nice if you could play games or do other things on the 360 while it is downloading demos and such. Some of those 900MB downloads took nearly 10 minutes.

Re Oblivion: I've heard a lot of great things about it. But what if I've never been one for RPGs? Is it still worth a look?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Bryan,

I hear you! I, too, never considered myself an RPG type of guy (I preferred FPS stuff and the like) but Oblivion is a whole different story. Even though it is of RPG origin, the way you can set it up in either first or third person mode makes it into a very nice FPS experience even without guns and ammo. Some of those fireballs you can throw at the baddies remind me of the meanest of rocket launchers.

:D

Seriously, in my opinion, Oblivion really shows off the potential of XBox 360. It has drawn me in like no other game in recent memory. Prepare to spend more time on it than you thought since it is a huge, rich universe that unfolds the more you get into it.

We have a whole thread going on about it here which should give you some more information about it.

And, in a related matter, check out some of the Microsoft Arcade games on XBox Live. There are several positively addictive ones there!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

How does this sound? Should be here the first FULL week of June. (Note: I said should be.)

As for recommended games, I suggest Burnout Revenge. It is now $40. This consumes all of my playing time. (If you look at my gamertag you'll also see Zuma, but that's my girl.) It sounds fantastic and is a lot of fun to play. Great visuals too. I'm sure Burnout 5 will be more "next-gen" graphically, but this game has the gameplay and that's what really matters. Don't get me wrong, it still looks very good and it's still the best looking version out right now. Online multiplayer is this game is very fun. Not as fun to play multiplayer offline because of load times, IMO.

Be sure to check out the Arcade as well. Geometry Wars ($5) is easy pick up and play, but very difficult. Mutant Storm ($10 and one of my favorites) uses the same control scheme, but is different enough to play as well. Zuma is a fun puzzle game. As I said earlier, my girl can't stop playing that one. Feeding Frenzy and Jewel Quest aren't too bad either.

Not sure how much you are into classic games, but you have Joust, Smash TV, Gauntlet, and Robotron to choose from now. Soon, there'll be games like Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3, Pac-Man, Galaga, Time Pilot, to name a few, to keep your eye out for. Also, I can't forget UNO.

I say, stick with the GOLD. Even if you don't plan on playing much online, it's only the price of a game each year to renew and you'll have the option of jumping online whenever you get the urge. I don't play much online myself, but enjoy the fact that when I get in the mood, I can race a little against real people, no problem. Plus, if you check out the demo of Test Drive: Unlimited, you'll see that game is based around playing online. It's like a MMORPG, but for driving.

I'm not much of an RPG fan, but Mass Effect looks very promising to me.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Nice info on the update, George.

Another question. I have both my 360 and regular Xbox networked to my router. I'd like to share one Xbox Live membership between the two so we can access Live from both systems. Is this possible? I can't figure it out.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
If you mean at the same time, I doubt that MS would let that happen with the same account. But, I haven't tried it. I can sign on with both my old Xbox and my 360 with the same account though, if you're just wondering if you can keep just the one account and use it for both.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, just signed on one at a time. So you do that? Fantastic. My son wants me to keep the Gold membership so he can play Halo online. I don't think I'll play online much so I'd hate to have to buy two memberships.

Right now I just have the free trial and I couldn't get that logged into on the old Xbox. After that expires I'll buy a Gold at Wally World and try it then.

Tell me if this makes sense.....

With the 360 I've got Silver free (forever I think, right). After the 1 month Trial of Gold expires I can go to Wally World and get a Gold and create a new account on the old Xbox with Gold. Then I'll have the Silver separate from the Gold so I can still download content on the 360 if my son is using Gold on the old Xbox. And if we want to multiplay online with the 360 we can sign on to the Gold account from the 360. Right? Does that all sound right or am I missing something?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I had my Live account on my original Xbox. When I bought the 360, I was able to "transfer" the account to the 360. It was a pretty simple process.

Halo 2 works in the 360. I know I was able to log online with it, but I haven't tried playing too much because I really don't like the game. I'm more of an Unreal Championship type.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, we've done Halo 2 on the 360. So is this more 'transferring' the membership back and forth or simply signing in?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I was able to create an Xbox Live account and get it set up on both my Xbox and Xbox360. So now I can use it on both (but of course not at the same time).

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Another great game is Condemned Criminal Origins. That game will scare the crap out of you.

Brion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks