What's new

Blu-ray Review Sucker Punch Extended Cut Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

Sucker Punch: Extended Cut (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)

SUCKER PUNCH Extended Cut Blu-ray

Studio: Warner Brothers

Year: 2011

Rated: R(Extended), PG-13(Theatrical)

Film Length: 2 hours, 8 minutes(Extended), 1 hour, 50 minutes(Theatrical)

Aspect Ratio: 1080p High Definition Widescreen (2.4:1)

Audio: English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese

Release Date: June 28, 2011

The Movie

Sucker Punch begins as the story of Baby Doll(Emily Browning), a young woman who finds herself locked away in a sanitarium after a family tragedy. Baby Doll enlists other patients to help her to plan her escape, including Rocket(Jena Malone), Rocket’s sister Sweet Pea(Abby Cornish), Amber(Jamie Chung), and the ironically named Blondie(Vanessa Hudgens). Scott Glenn, Carla Gugino, and Jon Hamm also feature prominently in the film.

Sucker Punch is the most recent film directed by Zack Snyder(Watchmen, 300). Snyder also created the original story and collaborated on the screenplay with Steve Shibuya. Snyder’s past experience with adapting graphic novels is put to good use here as he succeeds in the first sequence of the film in telling a story primarily with pictures rather than words. Snyder deserves credit as a filmmaker who obviously places a lot of thought and preparation into the images placed on screen. The extended cut of Sucker Punch is the better of the 2 versions because it restores one pivotal scene near the end of the film featuring an encounter between Baby Doll and the character played by Jon Hamm that helps to tie the film together. The other additions in the extended cut are less significant, consisting of additional action scenes and musical numbers. That pivotal scene does not transform Sucker Punch into an entirely different film but it does improve the original version.

Sucker Punch is an entertaining descendant of other films, particularly The Matrix, in which the nature of reality is questioned or sculpted by its protagonist. Stuart Lee of WNYX-TV described Sucker Punch as "Kill Bill meets Inception" and that seems to be a fairly accurate description if one is looking for a high concept summary in only a few words, even if its quality does not surpass either of those films. The fantastic imagery of hot babes with guns blazing and swords swinging in amazing environments is emblematic of Baby Doll’s efforts to collect the items needed by the girls to escape their prison. This device is useful in providing the audience with the same imaginary outlet as Baby Doll and elevates the film above what would otherwise be a more mundane and depressing backdrop.

Video

The film is presented in 1080p high definition in a 2.4:1 aspect ratio with the AVC codec. The picture quality is excellent with minimal grain but exquisite fine detail. Shadow detail is also excellent. Colors tend to be drab rather than vibrant, but this is obviously an aesthetic choice by the filmmakers rather than the result of a poor transfer. This is near reference quality material.

Audio

The English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio tracks provide great demonstration material. Directional audio is employed exceptionally well for sound effects. The soundtrack carries the correct balance of audibility for dialogue, music, and sound effects to create as immersive an audio experience as you might hope for in this type of film.

Special Features

The special features include all of the following:

The Sucker Punch Extended Cut Blu-ray includes 3 discs. Disc 1 contains the theatrical cut of the film with all of the special features except for the Maximum Movie Mode which is included on the Extended Cut on Disc 2. Disc 3 contains the theatrical version on DVD as well as the digital copy of the film.

Sucker Punch Animated Shorts(11:23): These promotional shorts that were originally available on the internet are animated prequels regarding the fantastic scenarios created by Baby Doll. Titles are as follows: Feudal Warriors, The Trenches, Dragon, and Distant Planet. These shorts may be selected individually or with a "play all" function.

Sucker Punch Behind The Soundtrack(2:41): Film composers Tyler Bates and Marius De Vries discuss creation of the music for this film.

Maximum Movie Mode: This feature length picture-in-picture commentary by director Zack Snyder will be of interest to anyone who wants to see how this film was created. The PIP is not continuous but pops up only when Snyder is speaking. This feature is included only on the Extended Cut disc.

Trailers for the multi-platform videogame Batman Arkham City(2:20), Lord of the Rings Extended Edition(2:14), and Crazy Stupid Love(2:32) play automatically prior to the menu on the Theatrical Cut disc. Trailers for Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Blu-ray(2:11) and the multi-platform videogame F.3.E.R.(2:20) play automatically prior to the menu on the Extended Cut disc. Both Blu-ray discs also have a BD Live feature which has special features for Green Lantern, Sucker Punch, and Arthur(2011) available as of the date of this review.

Conclusion

Sucker Punch may not surpass the better films which inspired it but it offers considerable style in spades, even if too often at the cost of substance. Fans of director Snyder will find it essential viewing but casual film fans may be less enamored. If one expects the depth of Inception or even The Matrix, you will probably be disappointed. If you come into Sucker Punch with an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed Sucker Punch more than I expected, since the trailers for the film may have sold it short by implying that it is a much more mindless film than in actuality. I recommend the extended cut over the theatrical as a better film. The video and audio qualities are sublime on this Blu-ray transfer. The special features are not especially comprehensive, although the Maximum Movie Mode makes for interesting viewing. Sucker Punch Extended Cut on Blu-ray is recommended for anyone who enjoys the best video and audio that high definition has to offer. 

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tim,

Thank you so much for this review.

Oddly, I just happened to have just
finished watching this film when I came
online to be greeted with your review.

The GOOD NEWS is that your depiction
of the audio and video quality is spot-on.
This is indeed reference material on
both counts.

The BAD NEWS is that I will never get
the two hours back I wasted on this lousy
film. I was so tempted to turn it off after
the first 30 minutes and was stupid enough
to stick out to the end.

I can't wrap my head around films that try
to base themselves solely on over-the-top
visuals and the absence of an intriguing storyline.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Tim,

both counts.

to stick out to the end.

Well Ron, expect another Ron from California to dispute your opinion of this film.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You guys crack me up. This film was made for a very, very limited audience, luckily I fit right into that. My copy is in transit and should arrive tomorrow, I am beside my self with excitement, especially after reading your review Tim.

I will say this Ron, this comment of yours...

...sums up roughly 80% of the films that come out of Hollywood as of late.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...sums up roughly 80% of the films that come out of Hollywood as of late.

Oh absolutely. However, with all due respect, some
stinkers stick out more than others.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, look at it this way, we can still bond over Moulin Rouge...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pretty much my sentiment. This was a film I saw in the theater on a free pass and walked out thinking: wow, there is nothing here.. some fun moments, but the storyline was garbage. I had hoped maybe it made more sense in a longer version, but I don't think I have the patience to last through it.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Tim,

both counts.

to stick out to the end.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
Does anyone know if the single disc BD has the extended cut on it, or do I need the 3 disc version to get that?
The 1-discer is the theatrical cut only, Jeff.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And I remember being so stoked by the trailer. After seeing this I can only hope that Snyder doesn't jump the shark on "Man of Steel".

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I want to blind-buy this but I'm hearing nothing but negative comments on it. There's nothing redeeming about this film at all?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Luisito34
I want to blind-buy this but I'm hearing nothing but negative comments on it. There's nothing redeeming about this film at all?
Rent first. Definitely rent first. If you love it, you won't regret the $2. If you don't, you'll thank yourself.

Real Name
Anthony
The problem with SUCKER PUNCH is that it purports to explore the fantasy life of a distressed teenage girl. Unfortunately for its serious intent, the fantasies she has are those of a teenage boy - lots of provocatively clad young girls kicking the s*** out of robots and such. This lends the film an adolescent feel that scuppers any sense of profundity.
If you can put that aside and see it as a very cartoony, almost anime film, it has something to offer. Chiefly, it confirms Snyder as a truly great director of action sequences. His sense of geography is always clear, he delivers the angles you want to see, edits them coherently and he constantly hits images of visual poetry. It's easy to dismiss his use of slo-mo as a gimmick but he uses it artfully and, for the most part, appropriately. The fight sequences in SUCKER PUNCH are very good indeed, albeit hindered by the fact that the central conceit doesn't quite work.
So it's eye-candy for the most part, admirably but unsuccessfully striving for something deeper. Unfortunately, it's a step backwards from the sophistication of WATCHMEN. It's worth a rental at the very least, imo; and if it's lacking in itself, it does pique the curiosity for his next project.
Snyder is a director of great potential who, in my opinion, hasn't ever quite got on top of his material. The parts are always greater than the whole and that sums up SUCKER PUNCH. But if the script is good and he can loosen up on the reverence, there's every reason to believe his take on SUPERMAN will be spectacular. I absolutely believe he's the right man for that job - he can deliver action and majesty simultaneously, which is right for the character.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ron-P said:
 You guys crack me up. This film was made for a very, very limited audience,
Gee, that makes it sound like an art film, instead of the almost purely commercial vehicle it was supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks