What's new

Successful TV Shows Based On Movies? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Thomas Stewart
Was "The Brady Bunch" really inspired by "yours mine and ours" because that doesn't seem right... but I could just be totally wrong.

Another one to add to the list would be "the net" (it ran for a year on USA, around the same time as "Buffy's" Premier)

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't the original post about SUCCESSFUL tv shows based on movies? A lot of the shows mentioned here aired only partial seasons, hardly what could be considered "successful" unless your definition is getting the show made at all.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I chose only to list successful shows that ran a few years, that were directly based on movies, not shows with passing similarities to pre-existing movies.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

This is just not the case. Most people think that Happy Days was inspired by American Graffiti simply because of Ron Howard. Garry Marshall introduced Happy Days in a segment on Love, American Style. As you can see through the link, it aired on 2-25-1972. Amerian Graffiti was released 8-1-1973.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I remember watching LAS as a kid, and now remember that bit of trivia (the memory is the first thing to go, they say...)
Thanks for the correction!

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
They werent really hits but:

Barefoot in the Park 1970
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir 1968-70
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice 1973
Anna and the King 1972
The Four Seasons 1984
Topper 1953-55

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think lasting 8 seasons is enough to be a success.

I just remembered :

9 to 5 it aired in 82-83 and 86-88 for 85 episodes
The Thin Man (57-69) 72 episodes although it was a book first
Charlie Chan film series based on writings also inspired The New Adventures of Charlie Chan with J. Carroll Nash for 39 episodes and The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan for 15 episodes

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Star Trek: The Next Generation was based on Star Trek: The Motion Picture :)

Planet of the Apes: 13 episodes (probably NOT successful, but then an animated series followed)

Back to the Future Animated - 2 seasons

Charles H

Screenwriter
77 SUNSET STRIP was based on I LOVE TROUBLE (1947) in which Franchot Tone played Stuart Bailey. Like THE UNTOUCHABLES, the pilot GIRL ON THE RUN was released as a movie (and Ed "Kookie" Byrnes played the villain in it.

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE also had a feature length pilot (THE LAWBREAKERS) that was released as a movie in England.

I seem to recall that McCLOUD's original source (COOGAN'S BLUFF) was never officially acknowledged and there was a legal suit.

NAME OF THE GAME (and when will that ever come out on DVD?) derived from CHICAGO DEADLINE (1948).

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I think that Star Trek: The Next Generation owes more of its inspiration to the original Star Trek TV series than STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Its getting green-lighted might have been helped by the success of the movie franchise, but that movie was one of the first examples of successful Movie coming from a tv series.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Will Decker = Will Ryker
Ilea the Alphan = Deanna the Betazoid
One-piece jumpsuits.
Saavik (orphaned as a child on a hostile world) = Tasha Yar (orphaned as a child on a hostile world)

Okay, maybe Saavik wasn't in ST:TMP
:)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Flipper based on 2 Flipper movies, Flipper and Flipper's New Adventure

Lassie based on Lassie Come Home

The Odd Couple (although it was actually a play first)

There's a lot longer list of failed series based on movies:

Parenthood, Baby Boom, Working Girl, Bagdad Cafe, Uncle Buck, Baby Talk, Dirty Dancing, Delta House, Fast Times, Foul Play, Young Indiana Jones, Semi-Tough, Manchester Prep, A League of Their Own, Karen Sisco, Bad News Bears, Freebie and the Bean, Stir Crazy, Madigan, Serpico, Harper Valley PTA, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks