What's new

Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

sdguy55

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hello all, i am new to the forum and also new the Home Audio. Although i am new to Home Audio i have been studying/doing Car Audio for awhile now so i know the basics. The setup i have now is a basic out-of-the-box Harmon/Kardon system its silver/gray and i have to say does a pretty good job for me. It is run off an older Denon receiver. I use my setup mostly for music and the occasional movie. My dilemma is that the subwoofer that came with it (10" 100 watts bandpass enclosure) does pretty good but i want more bass. So I have been looking at the higher up model Harmon/Kardon (piano black, 10", 200 watts bandpass enclosure) or a Klipsch sub (also 10" and around 200 watts i believe) So my budget is around 200 bucks and would like to know what you guys would recommend. Has to be self-powered

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With a $200 budget, you will be limited but here are my suggestions:
Parts Express buyout $199 w/ free shipping, Dr. Hsu designed - link
Dayton, designed by Dr. Hsu - link
Cadence, it stretches your budget but you do get to move up to a 12" - link

All of these are very good, bargain subs. The only way to get a better bang for the buck is to build it yourself.

-Robert

sdguy55

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Well i am in college and there is a couple of buddys of mine in building trades so if i wanted to i could have them build an enclosure for me no problem.
If i was doing it DIY what would suggest? How would i power it?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For DIY:
Driver: Dayton DVC 12" - It's a solid driver that has been around for a few years. In fact, I'm listening to one right now.
Amp: Dayton 240W amp - Again, proven performer.

Build a 1.2cf (net) sealed enclosure and stuff it with 20oz of fiberfill (a bag of pillow stuffing from Wal-Mart. Ported needs to be about 4cf (net) tuned to 20hz. I've heard both and the ported one is a low end monster. That's the current configuration I'm listening to.

-Robert

dustin2br

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin Brown
I have a JL audio stealthbox with a 10" JL subwoofer that comes stock with the box, wired by a 400 watt amp, it is much louder than the pair of twelves I had in my car trunk. It really is all about the configuartion and wattage of both the amp and sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks