1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by sdguy55, Nov 12, 2008.

1. sdguy55

sdguy55 Auditioning

Hello all, i am new to the forum and also new the Home Audio. Although i am new to Home Audio i have been studying/doing Car Audio for awhile now so i know the basics. The setup i have now is a basic out-of-the-box Harmon/Kardon system its silver/gray and i have to say does a pretty good job for me. It is run off an older Denon receiver. I use my setup mostly for music and the occasional movie. My dilemma is that the subwoofer that came with it (10" 100 watts bandpass enclosure) does pretty good but i want more bass. So I have been looking at the higher up model Harmon/Kardon (piano black, 10", 200 watts bandpass enclosure) or a Klipsch sub (also 10" and around 200 watts i believe) So my budget is around 200 bucks and would like to know what you guys would recommend. Has to be self-powered

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    With a $200 budget, you will be limited but here are my suggestions:
    Parts Express buyout $199 w/ free shipping, Dr. Hsu designed - link
    Dayton, designed by Dr. Hsu - link
    Cadence, it stretches your budget but you do get to move up to a 12" - link

All of these are very good, bargain subs. The only way to get a better bang for the buck is to build it yourself.

-Robert

3. sdguy55

sdguy55 Auditioning

Well i am in college and there is a couple of buddys of mine in building trades so if i wanted to i could have them build an enclosure for me no problem.
    If i was doing it DIY what would suggest? How would i power it?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    For DIY:
    Driver: Dayton DVC 12" - It's a solid driver that has been around for a few years. In fact, I'm listening to one right now.
    Amp: Dayton 240W amp - Again, proven performer.

Build a 1.2cf (net) sealed enclosure and stuff it with 20oz of fiberfill (a bag of pillow stuffing from Wal-Mart. Ported needs to be about 4cf (net) tuned to 20hz. I've heard both and the ported one is a low end monster. That's the current configuration I'm listening to.

-Robert

5. dustin2br

dustin2br Auditioning

I have a JL audio stealthbox with a 10" JL subwoofer that comes stock with the box, wired by a 400 watt amp, it is much louder than the pair of twelves I had in my car trunk. It really is all about the configuartion and wattage of both the amp and sub.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hey Dustin! Welcome to the HTF!