What's new

Subwoofer to Receiver Hookup (1 Viewer)

buechler66

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi. I have the Denon AVR-787 receiver which has a single output jack for a subwoofer. I was just given a Polk Audio receiver which has Red and White RCA inputs. I don't have a cable so I pickup a set of basic RCA cables...red and white plugs on each end. I plugged just the red plug on one end into my receiver's single subwoofer output and then plugged the red and white plugs in at the subwoofer inputs.

But I get virtually no volume from the subwoofer. I made sure the receiver was outputting to the subwoofer, crossover is at 80hz, and I also made sure the volume on the back of the subwoofer was turned up. Still I get virtually no volume from the subwoofer.

Can I use the cable I'm attempting to use or Do I need a special cable (what would the cable be called)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
did you mean that you have a Polk Audio Subwoofer?

You only need one connection. At the receiver you say you have the red plug in, then you only need a red plug at the subwoofer. The white plug is doing nothing, but should not interfere with the sub volume. (normally...)

You need to check your receiver to see how you have the speakers set. If you have your speakers set to "large" then the sub will only do LFE (low frequency effects) Set your speakers to "small" and set whatever to direct the bass to the sub.

Most of the time, your subwoofer is almost unnoticeable. when there is a loud explosion, you should certainly be able to tell that sound is coming from the sub.

buechler66

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thanks. My speakers are set to large so I will set them to small when I get home tonight. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, which crossover is set to 80 Hz? First, it should almost certainly be set higher if it is on the receiver. If it is the sub, it should be set to its highest setting, or bypassed if that is an option.

kain

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Yea, what chuckg said. Also, I know my Onkyo receiver requires me to turn the subwoofer output on before it will work otherwise it doesn't send any signal out the sub output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks