What's new

Subwoofer shopping... (1 Viewer)

Oldschool1

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hello gentleman.... This is my first post and hope some of you have some good insight. First my system consists of the following: A/V receiver: Integra 50.3 Pioneer Elite: BDP62FD Front and rear speakers: Paradigm Studio 20 Center channel: Paradigm CC490 Subwoofer: Golden Ear Force Field 4 Attached is my room layout with fronts, rears and center channel noted. The scale is one square equals 1 foot so interpreting relationships is possible. Currently the Golden Ear is in front of the fire place and I'm just not getting the base I want. Let me describe the room characteristics. Behind the sofa, the entire wall is mirror. To the left of the sofa is all glass with plastic verticle blinds. The living area is sunken by 2 feet (10 foot ceiling). The remainder has an 8 foot ceiling. I know its a challenging room for acoustics but where the main speakers are located is about the best I have found through trial and error. The GE sub is located in front of the fireplace firing toward the sofa. Oh, and there is a coffee table in front of the sofa that is basicly a solid wood rectangle. I currently have a REL T9 on order should be in in a week or so I was going to put where the GE is (fron of the fireplace) and relocate the GE behind the sofa (firing accross basicly creating a sound traugh) moved from the wall about a foot. Another location would be to the left of the the sofa firing accross the listeners feet. One consideration is replacing the GE with a Pardigm Seismic 110. I listenned to it at my local dealer and boy is it powerful! The decision for the REL T9 is for its musicality. It will be connected to the high level outputs of the A/V receiver where the sub will be connected via LFE. I would like opinions and suggestions regarding my selection of the REL T9, selling the GE and replacing it with the Seismic 110 and any other suggestions regarding placement etc..... Thank you all who respond in advance... [ATTACHMENT=487]Room layout.JPG (1,014k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Questions... 1. Why is your couch up against the mirror/wall? (should be floating in the room around 2/3 the distance, and TV "angled") 2. Is there a reason you are swapping one 10" for another one? 3. Is there a reason the mirror/wall wasn't chosen for the wall the TV to actually be on?

Oldschool1

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
schan... 1- One of the ideas was to move the sofa about 15" from the mirrored wall and locate the sub at either corner firing along the wall or just locate the sub center behind the sofa. The TV is angled so it has equal view from anywhere on the sofa. 2- The Seismic 110 is a much better sub (more power and go's lower). 3- If I put the TV on the mirrored wall, the sofa would need to be located on a side wall which would make viewing not practical. The sofa and TV locations are about the only configuration possible other than putting the TV against the wall to the left where the verticle blinda are but that would block all my windows. Remember that left wall is 17 feet by 10 feet high of glass with a sliding door in the middle. All covered with plastic verticle blinds.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I meant the couch angled towards the TV. The idea I had was the TV on the mirrored wall, the couch only 7 feet from the TV, which by your drawing makes the couch float in the room. (the line where the 11, of the 11"8", would be the line the back of the couch would be on. That would also create a nice "get cozy" area on the floor behind the couch...off the fireplace) Of the present location, where the front of the couch is, not quite to the "4th squares off the wall", the back of the couch is there....and then the couch is angled toward the TV.

Oldschool1

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I prefer not to divide a room that is already small. Interestint thought. Given the distance from the listenning location to the speakers being roughly 11 feet, moving the sofa away from the wall will reduce the living area that much. By rotating all the furnushings 180 deg would be even smaller.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But you'd get a 10x7 usable area and a 10x14 usable area. The way it is now, can you even use the fireplace? And, if your TV is 60" or smaller, you should be within 6-9 feet of it anyway.

Oldschool1

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I use the fireplace a LOT ! My whole unit (condo) is only 700 sq feet. I get pretty nice sound in this little area now. I use Audyssy for room correction with the Integra which works quite well. My desire is better base. I believe the REL T9 will do nicely. One thought about the room was to install some wall treatment in various locations over the mirror. Not sure if its necessary but its a thought I might try. I dont think that will provide the base response I'm looking for though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks