What's new

Subwoofer setup question (1 Viewer)

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
Okay.. this is a stupid question, but one I've been wondering for a while..

I have a Velodyne VA-1215X for a very long time. My Velodyne has 2 RCA inputs for Line In.. I have one output for the Subwoofer from my Denon 3805 receiver. Do I run a single RCA cable from my receiver to a RCA splitter into the 2 RCA ports of the Subwoofer? Or do I just hook up one, or run dual RCA cable to the sub (splitter would be at the output of the Receiver). Or does it matter?

Thanks for the answer.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Just plug it in to one of the jacks. The splitter would help IF your sub is an auto-on (meaning it turns on automatically when it receives a signal) and it's not getting enough of a signal to turn it on when it needs it.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Are the two inputs for left and right? Some subs have an input that bypasses the sub's crossover and another that uses the crossover.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like the splitter method myself and run it this way, and set all others I help out that way as well.

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
The subwoofer is a auto turn on, and yes the input are left and right. I believe they did it that way so you run the preamp to the sub, and the sub to the amplifier powering the satellites/front speakers. I don't want to run it that way since I don't know how much the sub would degrade the signal to my Martin Logans (Not to mention the length of extra wire I would have to use) even though they say that there's no worries since it has a very high impedance. I'll probably run a splitter like I have in the past.

Just always wondered about this, and Velodyne's manual never really covered the single sub output cable from a receiver/preamp.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
A splitter is not necassary, and it adds 2 more connection points. Now it is rare to have a problem with one but there is still the possibility.

Like Seth said, unless you are having a problem with the sub not getting enough signal to turn it on, don't waste your money.

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking that connecting to 1 of the inputs would be fine, but which one? Isn't left typically designated mono? I suppose I can experiment but haven't fully set up my sytem yet.. still in the building stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks