What's new

Subwoofer recommendations. posted requirements.. thnx (1 Viewer)

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
Current speakers Klipsch Ref. 3 series center/rears and ref 3 II floor speakers (37hz low) and DIY subwoofer tuned very low but is 6.5 cu ft. Our new old farm house is SMALL and the sub is to big.
My budget is

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you already have a DIY subwoofer, why don't you re-build it in a smaller enclosure? What driver and amp are being used?

If you don't want to DIY, then the eD A3-300 is a very good choice. Elemental Designs is the biggest bang for the buck in home theater subs right now. The finish isn't as nice as SVS so that's probably why it is cheaper. Quality is on par with the NSD series from SVS though. Yes, the A3-300 is $25 more than your budget but if you can sell your current DIY sub, then you should use that money to get the A3 with the upgraded driver for an additional $25.

-Robert

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
here is my build
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...sub-thanx.html

I used a shiva mk 3 driver and mcm amp. I thought about that but i just do not have the time or desire. It was fun pre-kids but now i want/need to do other things and w/o getting a new more powerful amp i do not think i would be happy w/ my componants in a small box.

the a3-300 is almost 4.2 cu. ft. which is to big.

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I guess i may be able to add the A3 - 250 Subwoofer. it is a little big but cheaper. any thought on these 3 subs?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Internet direct subs are the best bang for the buck after properly constructed DIY. If you have built a sub you will know that a larger sub is more efficient. To get the same output (SPL and extension) from a smaller sub, you need to have more expensive components. It was covered decades ago in Hoffman's Iron Law.

The Dayton DVC 12" (a Shiva clone) works great in a 1.2 cf (net internal) enclosure. Parts Express may even have some pre-built enclosures. Or you can have eD build you a custom, sealed sub.

-Robert

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that diy would be best but I am not sure i the current equip i have is better than the components in any of these subs. If i did buy new parts it would 6 months before i could get it built. I will probably take the shiva and build a box for the wifes yukon.....that will piss her off lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks