What's new

subwoofer inputs (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Simple question:

My recieve has a "sub out" connection and my new sub have a left and a right channel signal input. Do I need to get a Y-spliter to connect both inputs or can i just use 1 input safely? Thanks

Derek

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The inputs on sub amps are mono. So you can connect your sub cable to either input. Some may say that you need a "Y" but that is just a waste of money.

-Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It isn't a waste of money if your sub needs to have a certain amount of input voltage. Certain sub amps have a high input voltage requirement and different receivers have different output levels so a single input may not be enough to keep it from shutting off during a quiet passage, and in such circumstances a Y will usually solve the problem. This is not the case with all subs though. A Y splitter is a few bucks, so it really doesn't hurt anything to use one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then turn up the sub level at the receiver and turn down the level at the sub to compensate. Adding a Y just divides the signal into two different cables and is then combined into one again inside the plate amp of the sub. I have half a dozen different plate amps sitting around that all have the inputs combined.

-Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All sub amps sum to mono, period, and if using a sub pre-out from the receiver, the signal sent is already mono. That isn't the point. The point was, how much input voltage the sub actually sees from the receiver, and using a Y is the same as using two separate feeds - the sub will actually see almost 2x the VOLTAGE regardless of it being summed back, and some subs NEED that due to expecting a higher input voltage. BTW, this is the info that was given by HSU to a customer having an issue with one of their subs staying on right in their forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks