What's new

Subwoofer HUM (1 Viewer)

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I have an Energy Encore 8 subwoofer, with a MonsterPower SW200, and AR Master subwoofer 15' cable.

When my sub is shutoff there is a quite humming noise, you also hear this when the sub is on and there is no real loud bass coming out of it.

I have heard before of grounding your sub to your receiver and stuff, but I just want to know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Scott.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
My Energy sub did the same thing. I cured the problem by tightly coiling the unused speaker cable between the sub and the amp, then securing this coil with quick ties. If you don't have enough cable to make the coil, add a 6' extension or so. There are other things that can be done later if this doesn't cure the problem, but this is a cheap/easy way to possibly get rid of that hum.

Good luck,
Bill

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
See this similar thread.

The better shielded your sub cable is the better it will reject interference. Good article on the Blue Jeans Cables web site about their tests using different sheilded-type of cables, don't have the link handy.

Joseph Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not an expert by any means, but I had a similar hum from a JBL sub. From talking to someone who would know, I finally decided it was the 60Hz filtering capacitors losing their ability to filter. Therefore, I was getting the classic 60-cycle hum from the AC power. I had this with the sub completely disconnected from my main amp, so it wasn't due to using cheap cables.

For the most part, it didn't bother me. But if I were smarter on electronics, I suppose I could have replaced the capacitors to decrease the hum. Since then, the subwoofer amp stopped working; the bright side is now it doesn't hum anymore! :D

Seriously, though, I don't think the two problems were related. You might try disconnecting it from your system, and see if the problem is isolated to the sub itself.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

RobertCortez

Auditioning
I had the same problem with my HSU VTF-2

I figured out that it was the sub cable. It was picking up stuff from the power cables and the speaker cables. So I simply positioned my sub cable so that it rests no where near any other cable...end of hum problem.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It could be a ground loop, especially if you have a cable TV feed in the system or a satellite dish that’s grounded separately from the house electrical.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have fixed the problem, and I thought that I will tell everybody else what I did and what was the problem.

My sub is about 15-20ft away from my receiver. Its right beside my seating area.
I took the extra sub and power cable and coiled them up really tight. I then ran the sub cable about 4" up the wall from the floor, keeping it away from ALL other cables.
Once I did that, I took my SPL meter and noticed that I dropped 2db!!
I then took my floor lamp and moved it 6' away from the sub and rewired it to another socket. Once I did that, I grabbed the SPL meter and it dropped another 4db!!

Now there is NO other electronics close to the sub and over all I dropped 6db from the original HUM noise!!

Thanks for everyones help and if you are using the Monster Power SW-200 DONT hook anything else to it, Only your sub!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks