1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer connection

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christenskg, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Christenskg

Christenskg New User

Kevin
    Hi, I have an old insignia receiver. I have a Sony saw-2500 sub hooked up by a subwoofer cable to the receiver. I get nice bass from the sub when I watch Blu-ray, or Netflix (through a roku). I get no bass (I have it set to energy saving mode and it doesn't turn on) when listening to my turntable (connected to my receiver with rca cables), my zune through the hdmi dock, Pandora, or a cd played through my Blu-ray. I guess what I want to know is there a way to get bass from the music I listen to? The sub has speaker pass through, should I be hooking that up as well?Is there a better way to connect things? Do I need to upgrade? Thanks, Kevin

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Model number.

3. Christenskg

Christenskg New User

Kevin
    Sorry, The receiver is Insignia NS-R5101HD

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Different factors can apply here. When listening in stereo, you can have "direct" which will bypass bass management settings and play ONLY stereo. If you set it to "stereo" decoding however, it will usually apply bass management and allow the use of the sub.

In terms of connection, RCA from the receiver's sub preamp out to the sub, which is what it sounds like you have. No connections from the sub to the speakers; they should be connected to the receiver.