What's new

subwoofer calibration / volume (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
In your case Ian you might want to calibrate to -65 knowing that you are calibrating at -10 under reference. The outcome would still be the same unless we get nit-picky about how some receivers channel levels can change a little as the volume scale goes up. You could do this with your master volume set to -10 and still would be a very close reference for you. Using this method>> At 0 you would be at reference then.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
So is the consensus here to set the subwoofer level at ~83dB when using DVE and setting all other channels to 75dB?

GregBe

Second Unit
Ian,
I think it is important to calibrate to reference for two reasons. One is that you will then know what reference is on your particular system. That way you can compare your listening levels to other HTF members on particular movies. Another reason is that the louder you calibrate your speakers, the less outside noise will affect your readings. I listen to material well below reference (usually 15db depending on disc), and the second reason was a big one for me.
I know that as you lower the volume the perceived amount of bass your ears hear is lessened, but I am pretty sure this effect has no bearing on a SPL meter. If anyone knows different, I would love to hear.
Greg

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I still have my sub volume set pretty low and the LFE set to -12. The sub is only 75 watts and its not THAT small of a room. I see a lot of people are going for the SVS subs that have 4-6 times as much power compared to my 75 watts.

Hypothetically, If I upgraded would I EVER be able to USE any of that extra power? Whats the point of a GIANT sub that I have to set almost to off? Is this what they mean by "Head Room"? If Ive already got more headroom than I need, why would I want more?

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Erik,

Have you calibrate ur system? I have mine at about 40% of sub volume... It's now sitting at -7db (ranging -20 to 0) on receiver sub level.

Most ppl want to have big subs cuz' those subs can produce tight/powerful bass and as well as able to handle low freq at ease...

I have a small sub as well. Couple months ago, I was invited to my frnd's house... He was showing off his HT system... That SVS of his sounded awesome, my jaw dropped :) Now that was some real bass... awesome sub... Ever since then, I am saving up $$$... Am thinking of going DIY and build myself a sub, since it's going to take awhile for me to get $$$ for SV Sub. Why was I there..now that I am hooked...

I can only blame god for creating those 18" drivers :D For the time being, make as many neighbors' frnds as I can...be4 I take down the complex :D

Al,

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure about "consensus", but Joe Kane said around 5 dB higher than the surround channels should get you close. Again, send JKP and email and get it from the horse's mouth. Also, check that HTF DVE thread and see what the latest is over there. Finally, you might want to compare your sub level "guess" with DVE against your internal AVR test tones, and/or against Avia or S&V.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Ive calibrated. Im at about 40 percent volume and -12 to get to 83~85 db with DVE.

so a BIGGER more POWERFUL sub wouldnt be "louder" it would just be "deeper"? Am I getting close to understanding this?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I would try to be more generic and say a "better" sub will be more accurate and faithful to the source signal. A flatter FR, deeper extension, less TH and IM distortion, good transient characteristics, less dynamic compression, etc. are all good objective indicators of sub quality, but your ears should be the subjective judge too.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
For comparisons sake, I'm driving a pair of Venturi v62si bookshelf speakers for mains and a SVS PC+ 25-31 in a relatively small NY apartment livingroom (probably 8'x13'). Avia calibrates the sub at a 70db level with the mains... I've got my HK AVR-230 sub setting at -8db (on a scale of -10 - +10) and the sub at 1/3 gain. Playing this stuff at reference level is crazy. I saw the sub actually move around a little during the first whale scene of Finding Nemo and I think that was -5db below reference.

Also, I've got both port blockers in the sub (tuned to 16hz). I've got no need for more volume higher up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks