What's new

Subwoofer Cabling (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm making a wall unit for my Mits 65" and equipment. The speakers will be built into the cabinet but the Sub will not. It's a small Energy ES-8. I'm going to need probably at least 25 feet to run the cable to where I'd like to place the sub. First off what's the maximum length that you can run sub cabling. Second I don't want to mortgage my house to buy one of these. How easy is it to make a cable for a sub?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Dave,
I made my sub cable out of RG6 cable that you can find in the electrical section at Home Depot. I think it runs for $0.25/ft. I use about 23 feet of cable. You then make each end using a F-connector by exposing the copper wire and crimping on the f-connector. Home depot also sells f-connector to RCA adapter that you then connect to each end. Plug it in your receiver and sub and you're ready to go. I think I paid about $12 for the material, $6 for the crimper, and $15 for the wire cutter (which I also used when I was re-wiring some of my houses other electrical problems). If you have the tools then it should only cost about 10 bucks. You can also make a y-connection too to go into your sub for a couple extra bucks too.
All in all, I don't think I could have bought 23 feet of sub cable for $33. Plus I will use the tools for other projects.
Hope this helps.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
RG6 is OK for the sub? I was'nt sure bout that but if so that's the way I'll go. And my receiver already has a 2 sub input.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
RG6 is just a 2 conductor cable, but it has thicker/wider surface area for less impedance for the longer runs of cabling. Plus, it'll probably be shielded, which will help in reducing any hum that might cropped up with long runs.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
RG6 is good because it is shielded and is 75 ohms.
Do a search for rg6 and you will find lots of info.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

John_B

Auditioning
I use the Quad shield RG-6 for my long runs to the sub and component to my video processor.
John

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
Is RG6 only good for sub cable, or can it be used for other input cables as well?
------------------
"Once you label me, you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who see any difference between soul and body have neither." - Oscar Wilde
""We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at
least one laugh." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, while you could easily use RG-6 for interconnects, there may be some other better options for short runs for interconnects. I'm not really into "wires", but you should do a search for Chris White really nice DIY cable webpage (click on the DIY link on the left-hand side of the frame).
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, P@!!
------------------
"Once you label me, you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who see any difference between soul and body have neither." - Oscar Wilde
"We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks