What's new

Subwoofer Cable Hookup Question! (1 Viewer)

I have two apline subs i took out of my old car.

Is there anyway to hook them up to my surround sub channel?

My amp has a RCA sub input not speaker wire.

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
There is something calls line output converter that will take the speaker outputs and convert them to line (RCA). You should be able to find this converter at any mobile sound dealer.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Justin,

You didn’t give us much to go on here. Are the Alpines raw drivers, or in a box? I’ve never heard of a “surround sub channel” or an amp with a “sub input.” Where does this amp fit into the scheme of things?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
I think Justin is trying to add the 2 spare subs to his surround speakers. He's powering them with the spare car amp that he pulled along with the subs.
If that's the case then I have a question for you Justin: how are you planning to power that amp of your? You are going to need a very powerful power supply to feed that amp of your :)

I have two car subs in a box. My surroundsound reciver has a rca input for the sub, not speaker wire. The subs have speaker wire.

I want to hook the subs up to my reciver's sub output.

I was hoping that the reciver will power them just enoguh to get a good bass. If I can figure out how to covert a speaker wire into a rca wire it will work.

I am going to try the line output converter.

Justin

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Justin wrote,
I want to hook the subs up to my reciver's sub output.I was hoping that the reciver will power them just enoguh to get a good bass. If I can figure out how to covert a speaker wire into a rca wire it will work.
Justin the sub out is for powered subs only. You can use any old external amp that you may have laying around, or go to a flea market and pick up one for short money and this should solve your problem. If you have an old car amp as well you can use that with a power converter from radio shack around $50 but I'd look for an old reciever/amp for the same price.

Signed

Ed

I tried the line output converter and it didnt work, which would be true since it isnt a powered sub, yet. I will try the radio shack power converter.
The line doubler cost me $21 no refund:angry:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You will need an amplifier of some sort to power the subs. Go to a pawn shop and get an old stereo receiver or integrated amp.

Make sure you get a return policy, though. Most car subs sound like crap in home theater applications, so there’s a big chance you won’t be happy with what you hear.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Radio Shack said they dont carry that??
You would need a power converter, aka 12V power supply if you wanted to use a car amp in the house. Since you haven't mentioned that you have a car amp lying around, I wouldn't bother with this idea. Furthermore, the Radio Shack power supplies wouldn't have enough output current for anything but the tiniest car amp.

Go with Wayne's suggestion and find a cheap used home amp or receiver to power the sub(s).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cheap amp/receiver is not the ideal way to go. The subs are almost certainly 4 Ohm, which is common in car audio, and most "cheap" receivers will be rated for 8 Ohm operation. Depending on the subs, they may overload an inexpensive receiver.

rayt85296

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray Taylor
I have a NAD T757 and a Polk Audio DSW Pro660 wi. I also have Audioquest Evergreen sub cables and Y adapter with 2 females and 1 male as well as Y adapter with 2 males and one female. Should I use both sub cables and then the Y with two females at the receiver?...or one sub cable with the Y adapter at the sub? I'm confused. Seems like there should be 2 Subw outs at receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks