What's new

Subtitle Problem with JVC XV-S500? (1 Viewer)

Jason Christman

Auditioning
I've done a few searches and can't find any mention of this problem on this player. On certain movies, when player generated subtitles appear on the screen, it then switches subtitling on and everything everyone says appears as a caption at the bottom of the screen. It's very annoying on films where there is a lot of foreign dialog :angry: Switching to the main menu and back seems to fix it. Some films where I've gotten this problem:
Goldeneye
Black Hawk Down
There's a few others as well, but I can't remember at the moment which titles they are. Anyone else get this problem on the JVC XV-S500 DVD player? I was going to contact JVC about it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem first. Thanks!
Jason

AlanCOL

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
I also have the XV-S500BK and have noticed the subtitle problem most recently with "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "XXX". I don't know of any way to fix it other than the rumored firmware, but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Same problem on my 600BK with my Ronin disc. Verrry annoying! So much so that I am looking for a replacement player. I may wait for the Denon 2900 or pick up a Panny RP-91 before they disappear.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Oh, and on the 600BK, the zoom icon disappears after a couple of seconds. My friend's 500BK does not allow you to remove the icon.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I've done a few searches and can't find any mention of this problem on this player. On certain movies, when player generated subtitles appear on the screen, it then switches subtitling on and everything everyone says appears as a caption at the bottom of the screen. It's very annoying on films where there is a lot of foreign dialog Switching to the main menu and back seems to fix it. Some films where I've gotten this problem:

Goldeneye
Black Hawk Down

There's a few others as well, but I can't remember at the moment which titles they are. Anyone else get this problem on the JVC XV-S500 DVD player? I was going to contact JVC about it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem first. Thanks!
weird, I've watched both of those recently on my SA-600bk, and didn't have any issues with subtitles.

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
Same problem here. (500BK) On movies like xXx, EVERY TIME a caption came up I'd have to pick up the remote, get into the menu & turn it off. PITA.

Geoff

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Actually I have not sen this problem yet. I have had the player for a few weeks. What are the titles that this player has trouble with. I see the following listed so far...

- Golden Eye
- xXx
- Black Hawk Down
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit

What others?

AlanCOL

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
I've only had the problem with "XXX" and "WFRR". I own Goldeneye as well, but it's worked fine every time. As for the firmware, I've just seen people talking about it in other posts. I emailed JVC about it, but they just tell me I have to call in and talk directly to a rep. I haven't done that yet, but if anything comes out of it, I'll try to post it.

Users who are viewing this thread