What's new

Subscriptions Are Back! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am under the impression that "Following Forums" just doesn't work.

I have a few forums that I have selected to follow. And there is new content posted to them regularly...and nothing is showing up in either my "My Content" sort or my "Content I Follow" sort. it is totally on me that I don't yet understand the difference between those two selections. But I have checked my Notification Options and it seems as if I should be gettting notifications on the forum whenever there is a new post/thread made in these forums. For example, one of them--RAH's "A Few Words About..." sub-forum--yields me nothing in either of those two sorts although it is one of the most active forums on the site.

Either I'm doing something wrong (the most likely event) or the forum software is not working correctly.

And as I said, I am still working on trying to figure out how the subscriptions--in general--is working out...but life is keeping me busy these past few weeks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also was just perusing the Music Forum and found a pre IP.Board thread that had been bumped on April 13th that did not show up on either of the "Content" links I regularly check. (The "Female Singer/Beautiful Voice" thread.)

So now I'm also not so sure that all of the old subscriptions are working correctly on their own.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mike Frezon said:
I also was just perusing the Music Forum and found a pre IP.Board thread that had been bumped on April 13th that did not show up on either of the "Content" links I regularly check. (The "Female Singer/Beautiful Voice" thread.)

So now I'm also not so sure that all of the old subscriptions are working correctly on their own.
I don't see that you are subscribed to that specific thread. On the top of the page does it show follow this topic, or unfollow this topic?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't see that you are subscribed to that specific thread. On the top of the page does it show follow this topic, or unfollow this topic?
You are right. The button says "Follow This Topic."

I did not click on it yet. I suppose I will. The thing is, I SHOULD be subscribed to the thread. I should be subscribed to all threads in which I've posted. I can only ever think of one thread to which I've intentionally unsubscribed.

And I've made three posts in that thread:

Post #147 (3-23-07)
Post # 154 (3-25-07)
Post #172 (3-19-12)

So I guess the question should be WHY am I not subscribed to the thread. I'm sure the only reason I made the 2012 post was that when the thread was revived last year, I received a notification through my subscription.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Mike,
Following everything you post in is not a default behavior. That is probably part of the issue here. If you were subscribed on Huddler, it would be in your list here, as the import was complete. What may not be the case is that you are still following every thread you post in.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:

It may not be a default behavior for the software, but it is a default behavior for me! :biggrin:

From the days of Vbulletin, I have always had the forum software set to subscribe me to any thread in which I've made a post. This has always been the way I "use" the forum software. To follow a thread, I either post in it (for automatic subscription) or have manually subscribed to it...and then see when it is bumped in my list of subscribed threads (activity feed). I have never used e-mail notification for the sheer horror of having my in-box overrun with such notifications.

Earlier this year, when we were still with Huddler, I checked and found that I was subscribed to more than 3700 threads! (I don't know if this software allows me to check on that number--for comparison's sake.)

So there's no reason for me to think I would not be subscribed to the above "Female Singer" thread in the music forum...especially since I posted in it in both 2007 and 2012.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It can certainly be set in your profile settings under Notification Options - i'll have to do some research to see if we can make that a default.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't misunderstand.

I'm just describing how I use the forum software. Over the years I've had a number of conversations with other members who do things totally different from the way I do them.

I'm not sure there would be a majority of members who would want to be subscribed to every thread in which they post. It is just what works for me...and leads me to question why I'm not showing as being subscribed to this one thread.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of questions with apologies if they have already been addressed.

Are all previous thread subscriptions lost? I looked in my profile but didn't see them nor a means to quickly re-add them. I have yet to recieve a single thread subscription since the forum change.

The lifeline that I have used for awhile to stay in touch with the forum was to subscribe to the forum sections that interested me. I previously chose a few. The DVD, BD, and TV on DVD ones. It used to send me a daily email that listed all threads in those sections with how many new replies since my last visit to the thread and links for quick browsing and easy access. From that one email, I would visit the threads that interested me and then browse from there.

Two or three weeks ago, since the forum change, I re-subscribed to the forum sections but now it sends separate daily emails for each section and the emails only mention new threads that were created in those sections. I find these much less appealing. To the point that this is probably my second or third visit to the forum since the change.

I was hoping I am overlooking a means to get back those previous subscriptions and/or the daily email subscription as those were really my means of connecting with the forum.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm still not sure subscriptions are working. My experience is very mixed. I think I've got my default set to auto-follow what I post into. But I don't get notifications for many threads threads I follow. It's regular for me to wander to a thread with updates, but not have any notification for it. But some do work, and I get some sub updates. the root of it, for me, is it seems completely random, not at all matching my expectations. I don't know if its normal behavior, bugs, transition quirks, or my own error in settings. What I want is: Notifications for any thread I'm participating inOne Notification immediately on update, and no more until I've read the thread

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dave - thank you for the feedback. We are still looking into this one, and suspect we have an idea.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
IPS has written a script that applies your current default subscription and notification preferences to every thread you're already following. Hopefully things will be more consistent from here - but please keep us informed as we want you all to be happy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here is another example where old subscriptions don't seem to be quite "right."

RAH's thread on Cinerama is a thread to which I was subscribed on the old software as I had posted in it. But I saw today that the thread had been bumped (without notification on my 'Content" feeds). When I called-up the thread, the button at the top of the page prompts me if I want to "Follow this Topic."

So, even though I had posted in the thread (automatically subscribing to it) I am not subscribed.

And I have also sent notice that forum subscriptions don't seem to be working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks