1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy Deal, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Jeremy Deal

Jeremy Deal Member

Setting up my speakers and I ran into a brick wall.....my wife. She wants me to put the sub in a coat closet in our living room. Before I go through the trouble of hooking it up wanted to get some opinions. Basically, the sub location is fine, but will the fact that it is behind a door make any difference and which way should the port face. Hardwood floors on crawlspace, JBL PB10 THanks!

2. Jeremy Deal

Jeremy Deal Member

Setting up my speakers and I ran into a brick wall.....my wife. She wants me to put the sub in a coat closet in our living room. Before I go through the trouble of hooking it up wanted to get some opinions. Basically, the sub location is fine, but will the fact that it is behind a door make any difference and which way should the port face. Hardwood floors on crawlspace, JBL PB10 THanks!

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding spot for your sub . . . as long as you are watching from inside the coat closet. Being behind the door will eliminate most (if not all) of the sound from the sub. Even if you could hear it, the sound would be highly affected by the enclosed space and you would have to push the sub well past it's limits in order to have any appreciable output. Bite the bullet and explain to her that putting it in a closet is useless. Then buy some jewelry, or better yet, show her the furniture grade finishes available on those sweet new SVS models!

4. Jeff Gatie

That's an outstanding spot for your sub . . . as long as you are watching from inside the coat closet. Being behind the door will eliminate most (if not all) of the sound from the sub. Even if you could hear it, the sound would be highly affected by the enclosed space and you would have to push the sub well past it's limits in order to have any appreciable output. Bite the bullet and explain to her that putting it in a closet is useless. Then buy some jewelry, or better yet, show her the furniture grade finishes available on those sweet new SVS models!

5. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Well-Known Member

So, if i park my neighbors Yukon in my closet, i won't be able to hear it at 1:00 in the morning?

Scott

6. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Well-Known Member

So, if i park my neighbors Yukon in my closet, i won't be able to hear it at 1:00 in the morning?

Scott

7. Jeff Gatie

You'd hear it a lot less than if it was parked in the same room as you.

8. Jeff Gatie

You'd hear it a lot less than if it was parked in the same room as you.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt Well-Known Member

Wayne
    Jeremy,

It’s pretty hard to make a prediction on how it will sound. Just try it and see. Naturally, you’ll want the door open when you’re using the system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt Well-Known Member

Wayne
    Jeremy,

It’s pretty hard to make a prediction on how it will sound. Just try it and see. Naturally, you’ll want the door open when you’re using the system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Jeff Gatie

That's not what I got from Jeremy's post. He asked if being behind the door will affect the sound. Seems like he wants to hide it completely, even when in use.

12. Jeff Gatie

That's not what I got from Jeremy's post. He asked if being behind the door will affect the sound. Seems like he wants to hide it completely, even when in use.

13. Jeremy Deal

Jeremy Deal Member

Thanks for replies. I would probably wouldn't want to leave the door open for movies, but if I push comes to shove that's what I may have to do. I may give it a try, for shits and giggles anyway. I'll let you know what happens. Anybody else got any thoughts?

14. Jeremy Deal

Jeremy Deal Member

Thanks for replies. I would probably wouldn't want to leave the door open for movies, but if I push comes to shove that's what I may have to do. I may give it a try, for shits and giggles anyway. I'll let you know what happens. Anybody else got any thoughts?

15. ChuckRG

ChuckRG Active Member

Do you mean any thoughts beside trading in your wife for the more sympathetic variety??

16. ChuckRG

ChuckRG Active Member

Do you mean any thoughts beside trading in your wife for the more sympathetic variety??

17. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Well-Known Member

Thats one tough wife. Mine is pretty tough about things she feels makes the place ugly. But she is not quite at the stage of put the sub in the closet. Thats a very tough level to beat. Chuckle and laugh as I may; I just can't imagine listening to my Hsu sub located in the closet.

You can only try it in the closet, but I would not expect it to be the best place for producing low bass.

PC

18. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Well-Known Member

Thats one tough wife. Mine is pretty tough about things she feels makes the place ugly. But she is not quite at the stage of put the sub in the closet. Thats a very tough level to beat. Chuckle and laugh as I may; I just can't imagine listening to my Hsu sub located in the closet.

You can only try it in the closet, but I would not expect it to be the best place for producing low bass.

PC

19. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Well-Known Member

OK this is the extreeeeeeeme way to do things.

TURN THE CLOSET INTO A SUB

cut a hole in the door, mount the driver, make a real nice grill for the front so it is WAF acceptable.

Basically turn your sub into an IB

20. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Well-Known Member

OK this is the extreeeeeeeme way to do things.

TURN THE CLOSET INTO A SUB

cut a hole in the door, mount the driver, make a real nice grill for the front so it is WAF acceptable.

Basically turn your sub into an IB