What's new

Sub matching question (1 Viewer)

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Fellas, I'm currently in process of slowly building a 5.1 sound system for music and movies. Not too over the top, but nothing sissy either. Let me start with what I've got since I can't figure out how to make a signature on this yet. Got a Yamaha RX-V371 receiver and 2 Polk RTi12s. Looking at sub next for more low punch and wanted to know what you guys thought about the Polk PSW-505. They come with rave reviews and the price is in my budget ;-) Will this sub get things done nicely and go well all together??

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
One other 'wonder' question. Since my receiver is 5.1 is there any reasonable way to be able to hook 2 subs instead of just one? Get a cable that splits into two and hook both subs to that?? Just curious.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
wanted to know what you guys thought about the Polk PSW-505
Unless you are stuck with a sub from a brick and mortar store, internet direct models are a much better value. What is your budget? Yes, a Y adapter is all you normally need. I use it to split my signal to dual 15's. I can upgrade to quad 18's if I ever see the need.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Well just to start, about $200. Now since I can split the signal and run 2 (which is what I was hoping you'd say) I can add another later to bring even more!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd go with the BIC - http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=pd_sbs_e_2 for that price. Yes, you can add a 2nd but it should be the same as the first. If you aren't maxing out the first sub, adding a 2nd is a waste of money.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Thanks for the link! I'll definately check into that one! Now, is the BIC gonna have a plug like the one on the back of the receiver to hook it up?? I think I see one but not sure....

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
One other thing, where can I pick up that Y splitter?? Walmart have something like that or should I look for a particular brand?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've bought them over the years from Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. I used the ones with a single male plug and dual female jacks. If you are making a large purchase, look at monoprice.com Yes, the BIC has an RCA connector.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Hey Rob, Got any ideas for putting more power to my 2 main towers? Amp after the receiver? Anything small and reasonable on price??

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amp after the receiver?
Only if your receiver has pre-amp outputs.
Anything small and reasonable on price??
How about a Boulder 2050 for each speaker? http://www.boulderamp.com/2050-p1.html They are only $59,000 per pair. But they will crank out up to 4,000w into a 2 ohm load!!!! So your idea of small and reasonable isn't the same as mine? What's your budget?

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
My receiver is listed above. Can you add an amp after the receiver?? Budget is in the couple hundred range lets say. Also, by small I mean a small foot print.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on this page - http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v371_black__u/?mode=model your receiver doesn't have pre-amp outputs so adding an amp is next to impossible. Why do you want to add an amp? In 2 channel mode, you are getting about 80w / channel. Once you add a sub, it will relive the bass duties from your receiver which is like adding more power.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Robert_J said:
I'd go with the BIC - http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=pd_sbs_e_2 for that price.
Sorry for butting in but is there any specific reason that you recommend the BIC over the Polk? Not just being nosy but as I have a Polk PSW-350 and would like to step up to something else sooner or later I'd really like to know.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Proven performance. Many of the speaker companies don't make great subs. For $200, the BIC is hard to beat. If you are ever in this part of the state, let me know. I'll let you hear dual 15's with 1,600 watts behind them. -3db at 14hz.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Well my speakers have 3 woofers in each and I just thought an amp would pull more out of them. A sub is def in the mix very soon, didn't know that would loosen up more power to the towers when I sub is installed!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It definitely will. Without a proper power supply (and most receivers don't have one) the lower frequencies lack adequate punch. Look at most receivers and you will see that they rate their amps at 1khz. My sub amp does the same thing. It is rated at 1,250w / channel into 2 ohms at 1khz. But when tested at 20hz, it only puts out about 800w / channel into 2 ohms. By freeing up the receiver's amp section to power everything above 80hz, it will do it with less stress.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
I'm sorry if I keep asking the same question diff ways J, but a sub is going to help my current towers work better? Even the woofer part of them will work better??? Thanks for you patience and info man! I'm just trying to wrap my head around this!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The woofer works from whatever the tuning frequency of the enclosure is up to probably 500hz or even 2,000hz. I'd have to actually measure the system to see. The wider the frequency band the woofer works in, the better it will sound with a sub. It is difficult to create a 2,000hz tone while at the same time creating a 30hz tone. A sub will handle the lows and allow the woofers to work in a smaller range. You are welcome. I'm happy to help when someone is willing and eager to learn.

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Got another one for you then! My receiver has different modes. One w/ out a sub that puts more bass into the towers, one w/ sub and extra bass in the towers also, then of course one w/ sub and extra bass off in the towers. The last mode would probably be more in line with what your describing above to get the desired effects?? If thats the case I see a BIC sub in the future very soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks