What's new

sub gain knob (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Brett
Im just curious on what your guys sub volume knobs are set around. I know it doesnt matter as each setup is different but my living room where my setup is around 14ft wide an it opens up into the dining area and kitchen and a hallway... so its not a real enclosed room at all. Still yet the sub knob is only between 2-3 to get the proper volume (matched with the rest of the speakers) the sub is an f-12 and its not really right in the corner or anything. So i guess thats good it doesnt take alot of dial to get the volume right... I am just curious on how much of the sub's capability people actually end up using because mines not set that high and all the bass is still there in the movies and sounds great.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The SVS 13Ultra(that was loaned during my UIltra review) is set -15.

The other subs in the house...

Mutt being pushed by a Sony TA-N110 is set 80%(but that is a 100w amp keeping up with an older Panasonic SA-HE200 running a pair of Polk in the garage)
Another mutt being pushed by a Krell...the Krell is set 43(of 100)
M&K (don't remember which one...from when "self-powered sub" itself was new) is set 6.5.
JVC of unknown power(only has a single RCA and a gain) is set 80%.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Turned fully to the right. If there was a number scale on the amp it would be at 11.

Since I use a pro amp (Behringer EP-2500) I don't have a gain knob. The controls on the front are just signal attenuators.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Also, its important to note the the gain knob on a subwoofer is quite different than a "volume" control. The gain control on a subwoofer is used to multiply the voltage from the subwoofer output of your receiver/processor to the amplifier (in the subwoofer).

Volume Control = how loud something is.

Gain control = how much louder the output is RELATIVE to the input.

The reason for a variable gain control is so we can properly calibrated our subwoofers using a fixed output signal from the receiver(your receiver's calibration tones for each speaker). Since these tones are fixed in level we need to be able to multiply this signal until it causes the subwoofer to produce proper calibration levels.

The gain control is most definitely *not* an indicator of how hard the subwoofer is working. You may have it at 10% and the subwoofer could be completely maxxed out. Or, you may have your gain control at 90% and the subwoofer may be no where NEAR it's output limits.

Tom V.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks