What's new

Sub crossover settings (1 Viewer)

ryano2121

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan OConnor
I have read as many posts on how to set the sub crossover and I need a little help with my particular settings.

I don't know how to find out what the -3db point is for my speakers. My front speaker frequency response is 55Hz - 28Hz. My rear speaker frequency response is 50Hz - 20 Hz.

I understand from other posts that the sub crossover should be the next highest setting above the -3db point. My crossover is in my receiver and there is no crossover on the sub itself.

What is a good starting point?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would suggest setting the crossovers for all your speakers to 80Hz. This is a good starting point and is normally recommended..

Which receiver to you have? Many have automated setup routines that can set the crossovers for your based on the response in your room.

GregBe

Second Unit
I agree on the 80hz. You want to give yourself some room above the low frequency of your speakers. For one, it is difficult of most any speaker to play bass, and very easy for a subwoofer to play 40-80hz information. There are many people with huge towers that set their subs at 80hz even though their speakers play down to 30hz. Of course, there are no absolutes, so if a 60hz crossover sounds better, there is nothing wrong with it.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I took a quick look at the specs for your receiver and it doesn't look like you have any automated setup routine. Set the crossovers at 80 Hz and see how it sounds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would at least try a crossover higher than 80. I would try at least 100, and even higher, but that depends on other factors, such as the capabilities of your sub. It doesn't hurt to try. It's my long held opinion that most people set the crossover too low and somewhat defeat the purpose of a sub. Many people are thinking a sub only has one purpose, to play low, but that is skipping a major second benefit, which is to take a major load and stress off the main speakers and amp. There is much to gain by taking that stress off the main speakers and amp and passing them on to the sub, which can handle it better.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
>>> For one, it is difficult of most any speaker to play bass, and very easy for a subwoofer to play 40-80hz information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks