1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

sub $700 Floorstander recommendations?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Cerum, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Cerum

Cerum New Member

I've started my research for piecing together my audio components and was looking for a little direction. My listening habits are about 60% music, hence the floorstanders, I have an older 10" sub that I'm borrowing and have purchased a panasonic xr55, and the room is 22'x24' with cathedral ceilings.

My question is which brands in that price range to bother auditioning? I've seen the polk Rti8's, various Klipsch, Paradigm, Energy's, and Athena's recommended but would really like to narrow the list based on others opinions of options in this price range.

Also, the xr55 allows biamping with one amp going to the highs and linking two amps together for the lows. I've read the controversy about biamping but with the way the digital amp hooks two channels together for the lows will it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Brad

2. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Well-Known Member

Are you willing to try ID companies or just B&M?

3. Cerum

Cerum New Member

To be honest, there aren't many highend shops near me. I'm all about buying online.

4. mfabien

mfabien Well-Known Member

You have a big room plus cathedral ceiling, this calls for good and powerful sub or else it will bottom down... too much air to displace.

Some will recommend HSU, I recommend what I know and enjoy which is a 12" SVS... and there are variations Plus, Ultra etc.

5. mfabien

You have a big room plus cathedral ceiling, this calls for good and powerful sub or else it will bottom down... too much air to displace.

Some will recommend HSU, I recommend what I know and enjoy which is a 12" SVS... and there are variations Plus, Ultra etc.

6. mfabien

7. mfabien

8. mfabien

Moderator reading this...

please delete the repetitious posts... posting took unreasonable delay to get done with the above result.

9. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Well-Known Member

There are plenty of high end stores in my area, one of whom I am very good friends with but now have gone to buying on line.

The internet direct based companies are going to seriously change the audio video industry.
    I am finding out that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get high quality products. And the service has been stellar with both the companies I have dealt with recently online.
    I was in your same situation. My budget was $1000 or under. There are a wide variety of options at that price point.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are plenty of sub $700 floor standers. I'll give you some options. And the first option is the one I went with. It is the Premier Acoustic PA-6F tower.
    http://www.homespeakers.com/buynow.a...=Home+Speakers

I have auditioned plenty of sub $1000 speakers and these have been my favorites so far and look at the price! $299 for a set of towers. Saves you $400. You won't find another tower with this kind of sound for close to $299.

Another option that I came real close to was the Rocket RS-450 by av123. I know this is a little more than you are wanting to spend at $899 but I have heard nothing but praise for these. It would be worth the extra $199 imo.
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=90.1

Some other ones,

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50ti_main.html

http://www.homespeakers.com/buynow.a...=Home+Speakers

I have found that premium sound does not come at a premium price.

Good luck.

10. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Well-Known Member

11. Luis Gabriel Gerena

I will be receiving these babies on monday so I will be able to comment on them and they are right on your price range at $700 ($25 I think for shipping).
    http://www.htd.com/lethtosp.html
    I have their level 3 centers and they blew me away. I am also testing the Onix x-sls tower and they are very nice too. I also have the PA-6F towers at home so I will be able to offer a comparative review next week.
    Here is a pic of almost all the speakers in my room.

[​IMG]

12. Adam Stoltz

Adam Stoltz Well-Known Member

Nice Luis, so you are one of the beta testers for the x-sls. I am looking forward to your review of the speakers. Have fun.

13. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Well-Known Member

Luis,

So have you had more chance with the PA's yet?

14. Luis Gabriel Gerena

not really...I work as a store manager for RadioShack and this time of the year I basically live in the store :-( . I have my day off this sunday so that will be my fun testing day!

15. Cerum

Cerum New Member

Thanks for the replies. I know that a more powerfull sub is going to be in order...eventually. Does anyone have any input about the biamping with the xr55?

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Well-Known Member

Dayum. That's one heck of a speaker collection - or, a trial that you're involved with. [​IMG]

17. Luis Gabriel Gerena

I wish it was a collection but its just a trial...well some are and some are mine...and some will be mine :)