What's new

Studios want Bd50s for exhaustive extra content...sez who? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Format_War/148

this seems to confirm what I've been saying for a while now. This stuff actually costs money to produce- special features just don't fall out of the sky- so anyone thinking that studios will go out of their way to load up high capacity discs with added value content, is just not thinking pragmatically.

in a some what similar vein- look at what Amir said on AVS over the weekend (the subject was first broached in this post here- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8054866) Studios may be looking to use an internet connection as the key for future supplemental content, such as deleted scenes, docs, bloopers etc, or possibly even alternate cuts of the film itself. This seems to be a much more desirable way to go (from the studios POV) as it allows them a way to engage the consumer directly, mine data as to their purchasing habits, and target them directly in future promotions.
It would also allow studios to adopt a more streamlined, bare bones, 'superbit' approach to content, which may keep costs down and allow the titles to be released much more quickly.
This was all conjecture on Amirs part, but to me it just makes common horse sense- something that the arguments (or wish fulfillment fantasies of) Bd has failed to do on numerous ocassions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The studios might be bored, but once you've given your consumers bonus material like you have on the dvds, it's very difficult to take it back now, especially with a new enhanced home video format.

Crawdaddy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Absolutely agree! I don't think there's a way to go back to plain simple movie only releases. We'll get what we have currently. A bare bones dvd & an overpriced-underwhelming SE.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Studios will give what they think the customers want. All a studio needs to do is release two versions--the streamlined (at lower cost) and the loaded, and see which sells better.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
As long as the movie looks and sounds good, I'll be happy. There are exceptions, but I rarely look at most of the bonus content. Having said that, it should remain for those who want it.

Brad HP

Agent
I don't see a point where the studios put out enough QUALITY extras that anything more than a dual layer HD 30 will be needed. Personally, I like a audio/video commentary or two, trailers and deleted scenes/alternate endings. That's about all I need.

Last night I watched a Fox sd dvd (that I bought) that had a piracy video and forced trailers that I could forward but not skip. If they need a second layer to annoy me they can definitely keep it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I would be really, really annoyed if the extra space of BD50 is filled up with fluffy extras.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

By taking the extras back at this point they'll only be pissing off a small portion of movies buyers. The majority of people never even take a peak at the extras provided on DVDs. Even in this forum (a forum dedicated to home theatres and film) we see a fair amount of people who don't watch the supplements.

Although anecdotal, of the approx. 100 people I know only 3 of them watch the supplements contained on their DVDs. Most people just don't care of even have the time.

Personally I like supplements, but their absence would not stop me from purchasing a film that I love.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I enjoy watching deleted scenes and listening to commentaries, I think those are the most important items in a DVD disc (aside from a good transfer and soundtrack). :emoji_thumbsup: I really get annoyed when I don't see a commentary, that's usually a big letdown to me. :thumbsdown:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They've already done that on a number of releases, but there is no going back in providing the consumers bonus material on the majority of their releases.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
The studios that proclaim to want "extras" (ie BD50) really want BD+ security (Fox/Disney) first and foremost. They are using "space" as a selling point to future customers because it's very hard to sell customers on concepts like "we can revoke your player".

Sony just wants the royalties and "space" is a means to an end to justify blu-ray (more space for video games! and more space for movies!).

I don't see how "space" is an issue here whatsoever... it boils down to politics and boardroom deals.

Studios also know "multi disc" sets can command a premium over one large disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe, but maybe not. I'm guessing that a number of people will slow their buying habits down and just rent them.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Extras must have some sales utility though, or studios (looking at you Sony/Columbia) wouldn't go through the exercise of barebones release followed by SE. If no one cared about extras, those double-dip SEs would all sit on the shelves, but that isn't happening. They may be getting double purchases, or the extras may convince those who didn't bother with the first version, but there've got to be some substantial additional sales generated as a result.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am another one that all I want is the best picture and great sound. I really don't care about the extras. Every once in a while if I am very board I will watch some of the extras but for the most part I am only interested in the movie. So now that HD is out I still want the Best Picture VC-1 (not MPEG2). And I still want great sound DTS, DTS-ES and as soon as I get my HD-DVD player I am sure I will be evaluating Dolby Digital +, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Does anyone really expect all 50 GB to be filled? I don't. Now, maybe down the road when "home footage" is shot in HD it'll be necessary, but I'm happy with the kind of stuff we have now.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if you guys own any of the Disney cartoon releases like lion king+aladdin, the 50 ads for disneyworld/land and merchandise will MORE than enough to fill 50GB. in fact, i don't even think 300TB holodiscs will be enough for Disney advertisement ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks