1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Studios unveil 'films to download' - (New Divx?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Davatchi, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Five major Hollywood studios have launched a service that will allow movie fans to legally download films over the internet....
    ....Users will download the film from Movielink to their own computer hard drive.
    The film can sit on the user's hard-drive for 30 days without being watched.
    Once the user starts viewing it, they have 24 hours to finish watching it before it is automatically deleted from their computer.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2440233.stm

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

[​IMG]
    I agree this is just a rehash of divx only without the coaster, plus you're limited to watching on your computer, and have to deal with download hassles.
    No thanks. I'll stick with dvd and hd-dvd. I want to own my films, not lease them on a pay-per-view basis for eternity.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I hated divx, but this idea actually makes divx look good. At least with divx you didn't have to wait for the long download, watch the the damn thing on your PC monitor and have to deal with potential software playback problems (lack of RAM, PC only, mac support, corrupted file, etc.)

If it would be in a truly high resolution format, in the time that one could download the movie, they could probably run to the video store, rent the DVD, watch it, and return it.

Makes no sense.

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Shows you how out of touch some marketing people are. My God...

5. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, look on the bright side...at least this project isn't intended to be a rival format to DVD...and at least it isn't the exclusive format of certain studios. And it certainly won't REPLACE DVD...

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I am pretty sure that this is targeting the folks that download pirated movies with crappy quality and watch on their computers anyway. This way, they pay a few bucks and watch the movie in what I would guess is DVD quality or close to it. Everyone is happy, people see the movie and studios recoup some of their lost earnings.

7. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Gee, is it just me or do we get one of these announcements about once a month? And every time, USA Today, WSJ, etc. make a big deal out of it... even though it's the same piece of news recycled every single time. Is there really anything new here?

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

10. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

HA.

People download movies BECAUSE it is free,
    not because they like to download things.

11. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

12. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Regarding the belief that movies which are encoded in DivX are of bad quality, this isn't necessarily the case.
    I'm not going to go into any specifics because of forum rules. And, I may be treading on this ice now, but I'll continue and if need be, a mod can remove what I post.
    DivX 4 and DivX 5 formats (as well as the new XviD) are capable of MUCH better quality than the old DivX [​IMG] 3.1, which is probably the only introduction that people have had to DivX.
    I have several movies in DivX 5 format, all of which are near DVD quality (literally, they are better than even SVCD). A 2 hour movie can fit on one CD (around 700 MB).
    I will not state which movies, because we don't need to start a legal discussion. Let's just say that these aren't pirated (legal backups) nor will I state how I acquired them.
    I can honestly say that the picture is 90% of DVD quality. There is some artifacting (very little), and the sound is only MP3 stereo, but still, very nice presentation. Again, if the original source of the movie is a medium such as DVD, a DVD-rip of a movie in DivX will be very nice.
    Of course a movie encoded in DivX is going to look bad, if the original source was a tape from some jackass in a theater with a camcorder. But, this is not a limitation of the DivX format.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

Who said that the DIVX codec is bad? Quite the opposite! It's a fantastic codec! My point is that because DIVX is not a DRM-based codec, it will never be adopted.

Because this new movie rental service is not DIVX or Sorenson based (the two best codecs, AFAIC), you can expect the quality to be incredibly bad, particularly since they're talking about a full movie on about 600 MB of space. 600 MB with Window Media or Real? { shudder } Spare me the pain!!

I wonder if this is actually a lame duck situation that's doomed to fail so that the studios can say "See? We tried on-line rental, like everyone's been bitching at us to do, and it didn't work, so now we can just crack down even harder on everyone else!"

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

15. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think there may be two different 'divx's in this thread. I was talking about CC's idea that we killed off a while ago.

17. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

Unfortunately, both types of DIVX are valid topics of discussion regarding the topic of this thread. [​IMG]

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I haven't read the rest of this thread but like it or not, this will be the future of movie watching and gameplaying. I am sure the studios would love this to death, not to mention companies like Nintendo, Sony Corp etc.

19. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

20. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter