What's new

Studio Classics: The Best Picture Collection (1 Viewer)

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
anyone actually got the Fox Studio Classics of How Green was my Valley in this boxset?

I picked one in a DVD shop today, and fair enough, both boxset they had in stock were the old version. I could see it was the old one, but I didn't really care, it was cheap for 4 DVDs amd I just wanted to grab Sunrise now.

I hope Fox will do something about that, it's clearly a screw up on their part.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Has anyone who ordered from a US vendor received the incorrect How Green? I am beginning to think that this is a canadian issue. My replacement copy should arrive from Amazon.ca today so I'll report on what version I get. I also ordered a copy from indigo.ca that should be here this week.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I just received my replacement copy from Amazon.ca and it also has the incorrect version of How Green was my valley. I'll have to hold out hope from Indigo.ca

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone received the correct copy from DVDsoon? Can we assume that all Canadian distributors have all bad copies?

N

Ali B

Second Unit
I just received this from DVDSoon.com:

Dear Sir;

Fox has replied in regards to the error in their product. It seems that
there has been a misprint with the packaging and all items contain in
the interior are correct. All future boxes will be printed with the
correct information on the package. At this time they have not given a
release date of the corrected packaging. We believe that they will
liquidate their stock before proceeding. We will indicate on our site
when the corrected version does arrive. If you do not wish to keep this
version please do return it. As we do not have confirmation when we
will receive the correct version it will be to your prerogative. Please
keep in mind that all returns should be done as soon as possible as they
may be refused is they are returned over the following months. All you
need to do is write us a short, descriptive letter, containing your
order number, the problem encountered and mail us back the parcel. Do
not forget to sign the letter! You can find our address on this page:

http://www.dvdsoon.com/contact.xml under Head Office.

Once we receive the parcel, DVDSoon.com will issue a coupon for the
postage fees if you used a postal seal (e.g. stamps; preprinted or
affixed; postage meter impressions; PPIC indicia) as we do not accept
invoices. This excludes DHL, UPS, or any other Courier postal service,
as they use invoices. Please note that we will reimburse to a maximum
of $3.20 CAD per 100 grams ($32.00 CAD per kilo).

------------------------------
Natasha Bonfield
Customer Service Center
Centre De Service à la Clientèle
DVDSoon.com
Personally I can't believe they are just going to reprint the packaging and not put the correct disc back in it!

ali

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that there has been a misprint with the packaging and all items contain in the interior are correct. All future boxes will be printed with the correct information on the package.
I'm confused - are the sets that are coming from Canada actually correct, but rather just marked wrong on the package?

N

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I don't believe it either. It makes no sense for these boxes to have the wrong disc, as other boxes have the correct one. It's looking to be a Canadian problem only.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
What a crock, somebody is sure full of it! Is it a Studio Classics collection, or isn't it? Maybe they ran out of Green... and if so, should stop packaging the works as an SC collection, simple as that, because it isn't anymore. Come to think of it, I haven't noticed SC versions of Green... around for quite a while in these parts. For that matter, it doesn't seem that stores here continually stock these titles...they get them when they come out, and when they're gone they pretty much permanently disappear...anyway, I make sure to buy the ones I want right away now, with (surprisingly to me) Wal-Mart being the most reliable supplier of this series.

Edit: BTW, I have seen the correctly packaged sets in a store here (Future Shop) a fair time ago.

John Leaning

Agent
This really looks like a FOX Canada problem that they are hoping will just go away by ignoring it.

All I want is the CORRECT copy of Green. This includes the packaging AND the DISK inside.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think that this comment deserves a wider audience. I've been following this - and contributing to - in a similar thread over at thedvdforums.co.uk. After he had the dvdsoon email, I advised Kohlbek to contact Fox to see if what the Canadian etailer was saying was true (it does appear, after all, as another member here says, quite a crock, but as to who is actually doling it out...). He replied thus:

"I spoke to Fox, on the number you quote, yesterday - and they basically told me to get lost - because I do not live in Canada they consider it an "international" issue which I should take up with Fox UK. However Fox UK won't have anything to do with it because I bought a non-UK product - so they have me stitched up one way or another."

That's quite an appalling attitude is it not? Little wonder he has vowed never to buy another Fox product again.

---
So many films, so little time...

graeme cooper

Auditioning
I've got the same problem as you guys. I have a suggestion - why don't we tackle Fox about it when they come onto the forum with a live chat on December 8th? Do you think we'll be "allowed" to ask them questions on this issue?

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
The best price on this collection is DVDSoon - at about $30. Frankly, it's this low price that even interests me in the set. They are undeniably great films, but not ones I was looking to buy.

But I won't be buying if they are sending out the wrong disc.

N

Well, I'm another UK customer and I got a fairly useless reply from AMAZON.CA with regards to them sending out the wrong version of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY:

Here's the waffle I got sent:

----

"The only information we can give you about particular titles is what we display on the product information page: the title, author, artist, or actor/director, publisher, release date, and price. Sometimes we have a short synopsis, review, and cover image.

We know that, often, the amount of information we have may make it difficult to make a purchasing decision unless you already know something about the item. Our editorial staff is working to improve the information we provide about each item."

-----

I really envy those of you that are getting replacements, because it certainly looks as though I'm not.

Not to mention the fact that I did all this so that I could get my hands on SUNRISE, which is now being released, with all the same extras, by a UK label, but in a TWO disc set, presumably ensuring a higher bit rate etc etc as happened with the superior two-disc version of METROPOLIS

Very irritating...

Sergio

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info about what's been happening with this boxset. Looks like I will be buying from an US E-tailer then

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Interestingly, at amazon.ca, the SC version of HGWMV has a 4-6 week lead time, and the original release is OOP...they say. Well, we know where all those leftover copies of the original release went... The SC GA is unavailable from them, and Eve sounds dubiously available in some time. It almost sounds as though Fox *might* have packaged up the remnants of these SC releases' production into the box sets, rather than assemble the box sets because they were selling these discs in such "huge" quantities.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is developing into something of a scandal; it does indeed sound, Craig, as if this was Fox's way of dumping leftover copies of HGWMV onto the market...and subsequently dumping on those customers who have been duped into buying the boxset, particularly those outside America who they knew were anxious to lay their hands on it for Sunrise.

All customers want is the correct version of HGWMV that they ordered; not some dubious PR garbage about the box being wrongly printed. To high handedly turn their back on their customers, as Fox seem to be doing, speaks volumes of their breath-taking arrogance.

---
So many films, so little time...

Real Name
Anthony
Sergio - look to the left ; that's me in the exact same boat! :frowning:

John - as OUTRAGEOUS as it seems, I think you're right ; though I think it's more about their contempt for the Canadian market than for overseas buyers. Whatever way it goes, this is no mere oversight.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Well I got my copy from indigo.ca today and it has the correct version, so not every Canadian store has the wrong sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks