What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Let me just say right now, that every second spent reading about the pilot get sold, cast, and shot, every second spent reading about how the Netflix was shipping the pilot, every second spent watching the pilot get loaded up on youtube among a variety of P2P networks available for download, every second of today spent in mind-boggling anticipation of this new thing in my life was worth it. All of it, worth it. Yet I can't help but feel unsatisfied, like a wild night with a hooker. It's over when it's over and it's over, for this week.

Most of the time (90% of it) had me on the seat's edge with my hands to my mouth choking up to hear these words again, see those credits again

Written by
Aaron Sorkin

Directed by
Thomas Schlamme

In the old-school West Wing font to boot. As far as lighting goes, that was part of the charm of this crew again. The Tom Del Ruth lighting, just effortlessly and uniquely beautiful. Check out the slight lens flare at the beginning with the lamp on Jeter/Bush's desk. Beautiful stuff. I've missed this cinematic production for three years. And any doubt concerning Amanda Peet's cred on the street was eradicated, Judd Hirsch has godlike abilities as does just about everyone else in the cast. Sarah Paulson had me a little bit charmed. Okay, more than a little bit. She's got the unique delivery and it's already becoming clear this is the Huffman/Janney of the cast. And there will be no other show that's not on 24-7 Jesus channels with a fictional character, a main protagonist talking about accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior without a shred of irony. That's not a belief thing, that's a fractional example of what this show can be. We're back in the 5 year reign Sorkin & Schlamme had on network television where extraordinary actors with beautiful words said things that made me think for a minute or two. Dazzling, Matt Roush is calling it. Matt's right.

"Good, 'cause we live here now"

That's good, because now I live here too.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Man, yep, it's official, I am not seeing ANY of what the majority of you are lol. Now, i'm in no position to debate on whether or not this Sorkin person can or cannot walk on water, but as far as the show goes, it was very average IMO.

Like I said, I will give the show 2 or 3 more tries and I will try my damndest to see the genius your all claiming is presant, I really will.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yes, it was terrific. Loved Judd Hirsch's rant in the beginning, and
then how every newscast in the country was comparing it to Network --
hilarious.

Great pilot episode; remains to be seen if the show can deliver every
week, but I'm betting it will.

Loved the 700 Club references - great commentary, handled well.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I thought it was great. Not quite as stunning as TWW premiere, but the cast is there, the writing is there, and the creative forces are there, so I'm sure they will bring it along nicely.

My main concern about the cast was Peet. Never been a fan of hers. I actually thought she acquitted herself nicely last night, though that may be from low expectations. There were several times last night she had a "deer in the headlights" look, but it was appropriate for her character's situation.

Everyone else was great. Perry & Whitford are gold together. Weber has the asshole Hollywood boss thing down pat. I hope they manage to work Judd into the mix as a recurring character somehow. I liked Paulson, and having her character be a born-again Christian in the midst of a very non-Christian setting is a nervy choice.

When the show was over, I was shocked - it felt like we were only 30 minutes in. That's a hallmark TWW at its best had. To me, it's a sign a show is working.

:emoji_thumbsup: to Sorkin, Schlamme & the cast. My TiVo Season Pass for "Studio 60" is locked in.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Count me in those who liked it. Needed something new and this fits the bill for me. Throught the chemistry was good, writing razor sharp and plenty of classic Sorkin pacing. Will be a nice counter to watching Goren on L&O CI ;-)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I'm not a big fan of any TV these days, but Studio 60 is one that I will continue to watch. I was quite impressed with the pilot, and Sorkin brought some of the same great style that I liked in The American President.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If there is a better team than Sorkin and Schlamme, they are working on another planet, because I certainly havn't seen their work.

It's true that their style isn't for everyone, just as some people, like myself, don't dig Joss Whedon.

I however think virtually everything these 2 put down is pure brilliance, and Aaron Sorkin himeself is without a doubt, the best writer of dialogue of our time.

Pure.Brilliance.

cheers!

Josh

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Enjoyed the pilot very much.

Looking forward to watching this series.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I also enjoyed it. Watched it on TIVO. It's pretty accurate to what goes on in those type of shows.

I never watched West Wing or any other Sorkin show, but this one is on my season pass.

I liked "Jordan" immediately, when she asked Judd Hirsch about the sketch that was cut, instead of talking about what he did. It showed alot about her character.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Before I got fustrated with dangling storilines, dissapearing subplot and excessive optimism to the point of boredom (if that makes any sense), I very much enjoyed the first two seasons of the West Wing.

Based on that and the feedback here, I decided to check out this show, and am glad I did. The opening was asolutely classic, I wasn't even planing on watching the whole thing just yet, just a peak before another much more anticipated show, but I got sucked in immediately.

Regarding the dialogue, glad to see Sorkin let go of the more superfluous exchanges while retaining his trademark rythm.

I am on board for this one.

--
H

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

I read that comment, "You put the flag over the network bug," figuratively, as in the execs chose patriotism over the network.

As huge fan of "SportsNight" and a slightly lesser fan of "The West Wing," I was looking forward to this show. I had some mixed feelings on the pilot (it seemed Sorkin might have been holding back a little), but there were a lot of things in it that I enjoyed, and I see a lot of potential.

It's nice to see Sarah Paulson in the show. I remember seeing a test screening of "Down With Love" and noting on my audience card that my favorite parts were "Anything with Sarah Paulson"... and I had never seen her in anything before.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

huh?
ok so what does patriotism over network mean

i think it was literal, sometimes even things that seem metaphor really are
exactly as it is stated

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Reading this thread, I see Jordan was referred to as a bitch? Are you guys serious? I thought it was refreshing to see a strong female leader who wasn't a bitch. I guess sometimes the stereotype comes thru no matter what.

--
H

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's funny, I saw that as her thriving on a challenge, not being overwhelmed.

And ditto with what Holadem said.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
As sad as it is for me to admit any flaws in this show, if we have to debate on what Jordan was feeling because of Amanda Peet's ambiguous facial expressions, that's not good.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
My biggest problem with the show was Amanda Peet's acting. Otherwise, the show was good but it was missing that special something. I think it'll get better.

~T

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

That was me, if you saw my other post I retracted it. I agree after processing the episode she wasn't bitchy at all, poor choice of words on my behalf. No sterotyping, just an initial knee-jerk reaction to the way she came off during that big meeting where she put Steven Weber in his place basically. I'm not sure about her character yet but it was only a Pilot episode.

After watching "Studio 60" I went back and started watching "The West Wing" and "Sports Night" and Aaron Sorkin is probably the best with dialogue working today. I can't wait to see how "Studio 60" turns out.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Fast paced and lots of stuff going on aka west wing. I liked it for a first one. Lets give it a chance to work for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks