What's new

Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive been looking at the the region 0 versions going on ebay and was planning on picking it up.

Im sure as soon as I do, MGM will announce it.

After seeing the great job they did with Flesh & Blood I wish they would do this title.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm actually as happy that MGM has this title as I would have been if Anchor Bay or Blue Underground had acquired it since this almost certainly means it will get released and being a horror title (as has been pointed out) it will probably get a nice treatment even if it turns out to be bare bones.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
it will probably get a nice treatment even if it turns out to be bare bones.
The Dark Half is one of the single-worst DVDs I've ever purchased. On top of being cropped (P&S), the transfer quality looks like it's had at least one or two generations drops. It was so bad that my girlfriend asked me if it was a TV movie (it did look like a broadcast version). I've NEVER seen a copy of this film (or any other) look this horrible.

I know MGM has done some wonderful things since the release of that film, but with disgusting releases like Remo Williams and the recent Ingmar Bergman collection (to their credit they're fixing it), I'll wait until I see the DVD before I get my hopes up.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Arg -- I can't remember where I read it, but I swear I saw that From Beyond was on someone's slate. Maybe in an interview with Stuart Gordon?

Also: if you like this movie, watch Dagon. Awesome, awesome Lovecraft movie.

Will K

Screenwriter
I do hope that when the DVD comes, they will have dug up the missing footage that has always been rumored to have been lost or destroyed. Unlike Re-Animator, this one never got an unrated cut.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Been waiting for this one for quite sometime, it's definatly a cult classic in my opinion. And it's great to hear that MGM found and is going to allow Director Stuart Gordon to finally restore the film after it was butchered so much by the MPAA to earn an R rating. The following two reports come via Dread Central. :)
News: Missing From Beyond Footage Details!
Posted Jan 04, 2005 - 06:08 PM

Sometimes it’s hard to believe that the man who created the brutal punishment that was King of the Ants and peeled the face off an old man in Dagon could be such a nice guy. But that’s just how this crazy horror stuff works, I guess.

We dropped a line to Stuart Gordon to see what more info we could dig up about yesterday’s announcement of the discovery of lost footage from and plans for a Special Edition of his 1986 Lovecraft-inspired classic From Beyond. What we got was some amazing detail as to just what we can expect from the missing footage;

"I'm still flying high from the discovery. I've been working on the upcoming DVD release of FROM BEYOND with Greg Carson at MGM and got a call a couple of days before Christmas that they had found some footage. So I went to their postproduction facility in Century City not sure what to expect.

They showed me a small film can full of trims, picture and sound. The can was labeled "For video version" and I recognized the writing of my FROM BEYOND editor Lee Percy. My heart started to race. The trims were threaded up on an old flatbed, and there they were: all the scenes that had been cut by the MPAA nineteen years ago. I had looked for this material in the early 90's but was told it had been thrown out. I assumed it had been lost forever. I almost cried.

The footage includes the complete brain sucking sequence in which Crawford Tillinghast (Jeffrey Combs) sucks out Dr. Bloch's (my wife Carolyn Purdy Gordon) eyeball and spits it out. The eyeball lands on the floor looking up at the camera (it took forever to get that shot). And then we push in on his mouth as he sucks out her brain through her eye socket. I can still remember the lady from the MPAA scolding me about this shot like I was a bad kid sent to the principal's office. "How could you have ever thought we would give you an R rating when instead of cutting away you continue to push in closer and closer AND CLOSER?!"

There is also some extended brain munching, nudity and violence. The only scene that is still missing is one I cut out myself. It occurs early in the film when Crawford goes to tell Dr. Pretorious that the Resonator is working. As Pretorious leaves his bedroom Crawford hears moaning inside and looks in. He sees a beautiful naked young woman trussed up S&M style. In her mouth is a large three-penny nail that has been pounded through her tongue. Crawford frees her and pulls out the nail. She throws a coat over her shoulders and runs out. I cut this scene because I thought the MPAA would never allow such perversion, and now every other kid has a pierced tongue. The lesson I learned is to never censor myself. The good folks at MGM are still looking for this scene.

The plan is to recut the lost footage back into the film and release a Directors Cut. They also plan to release the first wide screen version of FROM BEYOND and are planning a ton of extras to make it comparable to Elite's Millennium Edition of RE-ANIMATOR.

I'll keep you posted on future details.

After such a wonderful Christmas present, I'm hoping this will be a great year for us all."

Now that’s the kind of stuff you can sink your teeth into! I just hope that one missing scene is found soon so we can truly experience From Beyond the way Stuart Gordon intended. Stick around for more as it comes to light!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I posted this news in the Lovecraft thread, but you updated it - thanks!

This is great news - hopefully well have it for Halloween.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Yippeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic news! I've been praying for a release of this movie for ages and now it's not only coming out but in a DIRECTOR'S CUT?!?!?!?!?!? I couldn't be happier! :D

JonZ: Who's the lovely lady pictured at the bottom of your post?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News!

I've been waiting for years to finally see this released properly on Laser or DVD. I can't wait!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hopefully Lions Gate will get around to releasing a DC of "The Resurrected" this year too. What a great double feature that and "From Beyond" would be eh?

Rolando

Screenwriter
is this the movie where people alter or increase their frontal lobe and can now "see" beings from another dimension or something like that?

Joe:C

Second Unit
I couldn't find the old thread about From Beyond, so I thought I'd start a new one. Creature Corner has little more info about the upcoming dvd release and televison premiere on Monsters HD. Read the full story here.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Excellent news. This is one of my most anticipated horror flicks not on DVD (now I'm waiting for Night of the Creeps). Here's hoping Crampton, Combs and Foree are all involved in the release.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Beautiful film.

Hope they offer two formats so there's no vertical cropping on the widescreen version (if it was shot that way).

Glad to hear it's still slated for release. Sometimes these things just...poof!

--Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks