What's new

Streaming vs Cable vs Physical Media (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I gave up cable long ago, and made do with broadcast and home video (Netflix DVDs, etc). Recently, I've added a few streaming channels... Netflix of course, and Amazon Prime and Warner Archive Streaming. Back when I had cable, I would channel snap and rarely find anything to watch. And I find that I don't watch my blu-rays and DVDs more than 2 or 3 times at most. With streaming, I can find something to watch instantly and it's usually there long enough for me to see it a couple of times if I want. I know the joys of ownership of physical media, but with thousands and thousands of DVDs and blu-rays I rarely watch any more, streaming is increasingly attractive.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got my first DVD player in 98 and back then I was averaging about one new purchase per week. I justified the expense by not having cable. Over the years as my collection got bigger my purchases slowed considerably. I figure if I already own 100 or so of my favorite titles I've got more movies than time to watch them. Now not only do I have a solid collection of movies, but a strong digital tv signal and multiple streaming video options. I'll probably buy about ten blu rays this year, and those will be split between dirt cheap rereleases of titles I already own or new movies.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I thoroughly am enjoying streaming, and subscribe to the 3 services above plus hulu plus and the free crackle and YouTube stations, I h as 've nearly every movie and tv series at my disposal. With all these vastly different venues I feel like an old time HOB programmer from the 70s. I've actually been able to view VISIT TO A CHIEFS SON (Amazon), Homebodies(YouTube), a vintage Robin Williams concert (YouTube), Cousin Cousine(Hulu Plus), Blume in Love and The Late Show (Warner),Blueberry Pancakes short (you tube), MOMENT BY MOMENT (Netflix) and others to recreate a 70s HBO schedule in one Sunday.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have thought about streaming but have decided not to do so until 4K titles become available! I would prefer to own the titles on physical media as they still provide the best picture and especially in the audio department the best sound. I see no value in purchasing movies that you have to have an internet connection to view and if the company goes under so does your so called movie collection. It seems like the business model is moving to take away real ownership and the ability to collect movies and music. Again I do not mind paying a small fee to watch a movie but I would not pay full price to only be able to stream a movie. Especially since the only audio option is the old trashy Dolby Digital which I hate with a passion!

So is there anyone out there that gets movies in 4K yet, and if so who is providing the service and is there any issues streaming the 4k content?

IMHO movies in 1080p and 4K should have lossless audio available instead of the old horrible Dolby Digital from the DVD days. Currently I ether watch movies from my Blu-ray and HD-DVD collection and from Direct TV. I prefer the Blurays 100% to anything else currently.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You are talking about something entirely different than the streaming model. The point of streaming services is that you get access to a huge library of programming, more than you could possibly ever watch, for a few dollars a month. You don't buy the movies, you get to view them from the library.

And you aren't going to find lossless audio in streaming, because the idea is to stream audibly transparent compressed audio to make it stream smoothly without buffer under runs. Netflix has started offering 4k streaming, but there isn't much programming available yet. I downloaded some 4k test movies to check out a few months ago, but I really can't see the difference between 1080p and 4k because I only have a 10 foot screen. I think it would take a 15 or 20 foot screen to be able to clearly see a difference.

I was able to do a direct one to one comparison between Billy Rose's Jumbo on blu-ray in DTS-MA 5:1 sound and Warner Archive Streaming's 1080p copy of the same film in h264 video / dolby digital plus (enhanced ac-3) audio. I have a very good sound system and a 1080p projector with a ten foot screen. For the life of me, I couldn't see any difference at all. The only sort of artifacting I've ever seen is a little bit of banding when an image fades to black. However this is with my Roku box. The image isn't as good over the computer interface.

For the price, Netflix, Warner Archive Streaming, Amazon Prime, etc... are all real bargains. Sometimes your location and internet provider might affect the quality of your streaming, but I live in Los Angeles and we don't seem to ever have any problems.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm not sure why you'd wait for 4K content. The vast majority of new productions are completed at 2K, and you're going to see very little difference between 1080p and 4K in 35mm-sourced material made prior to about 1990. The only noticeable benefit - and that's assuming you have a projector and a huge screen - will come from 70mm, VistaVision and IMAX productions.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bigshot said:
You are talking about something entirely different than the streaming model. The point of streaming services is that you get access to a huge library of programming, more than you could possibly ever watch, for a few dollars a month. You don't buy the movies, you get to view them from the library.
Electronic sell thru also has a streaming model element. Look at ultraviolet where you purchase you films and have the choice to either download to a DNLA server or device, like you will be able to with the upcoming common file format or stream as often as you like on the system of your choice. Streaming isn't just a rental subscription model. Electronic sell thru to own is one of the fastest growth areas currently in the home video landscape. Like with everything else in life there are people who prefer to purchase vs. rent and that continues in this digital entertainment landscape.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We've seen absolutely no sales numbers (other than the less than useless number of accounts created) to back that up, care to share?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Hi Sam-A quick google search would show you the percentages, (numbers) and growth. Electronic sell thru is up 43%. Im not sure what accounts your talking about (??) as im talking about The EST category and its growth so far this year. But heres the linky:http://homemediamagazine.com/research/deg-digital-sellthrough-43-disc-sales-drop-q1-33092quote name="Sam Posten" post="4110121" timestamp="1404751632"]We've seen absolutely no sales numbers (other than the less than useless number of accounts created) to back that up, care to share?[/quote]

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I signed up for an account on several digital copy sites. I never used them. I think the number of people using Netflix and Roku and AppleTV rental streaming dwarfs the download services.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bigshot said:
I signed up for an account on several digital copy sites. I never used them. I think the number of people using Netflix and Roku and AppleTV rental streaming dwarfs the download services.
Yes there are more people renting but that has always been the case. Look very carefully though at sell thru totals (both physical and electronic) They pull in a large amount of money for the studios. Not chump change and not to be ignored by the bean counters. There is room for two markets going forward. Netflix doesnt have many movies especially newer ones and alot of catalogue. Also whats on Netflix today may not be tomorrow. Ive been in the middle of watching a series on Netflix only to find the next episodes have been pulled due to liscense issues. Some people prefer to purchase while others choose to rent. Im glad we have the choice to select or make that choice.According to the linked article, as far as percentages are concerned electronic Sell thru (itunes or UV for example)is the largest percentage growth right now at 43% vs Netflix like services which have a smaller percent growth number at 26%.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Warner Archive Streaming supplemented with a broadcast antenna. Between those three, I have no use for cable TV at all any more. Streaming just has to hit a critical mass in programming and a universal quality standard for streaming speed. As soon as they do that, I think physical media is going to fade into the background. With my three services, it has reached critical mass in programming. And where I live (Los Angeles) the streaming speeds are consistent and fast. As I use these services more and more, my blu-ray buying has gotten more and more selective. I don't buy any "watch 1 or 2 times" blu-rays any more. I only buy movies I really want. I'm down to a blu-ray a month, down from several a week. I thought I was a physical media only type of person until I got Warner Archive. That totally changed the way I look at programming for my home theater.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Yes but many people are holding on to their 100 dollar plus cable bills oddly. While physical media may fade into the background I don't think it's going to go away as many people want physical ownership. While your bluray buying may be less there are multi billions being made on physical sell thru, even in 2014 and a lot of money going now to electronic sell thru via iTunes and Ultraviolet which means a lot of people like to purchase. Lots of people are renting via subscription services too.We have similar tastes I prefer the Warner Archive and the Warner archive is a great MOD disc seller as well as a good online movie service.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
A quick google search would show you the percentages, (numbers) and growth. Electronic sell thru is up 43%. Im not sure what accounts your talking about (??) as im talking about The EST category and its growth so far this year. But heres the linky:http://homemediamagazine.com/research/deg-digital-sellthrough-43-disc-sales-drop-q1-33092
Genuine thanks, this is newish, last I'd looked UV hadn't put out any numbers besides total accounts. But this is still a bit smoke and mirror ish. I'd like to see the original numbers and not filtered through DEG. Does this Digital Sell Through encompass all stores including iTunes, Amazon, PSN, XBL etc or is it JUST UV sell through? If it's exclusively UV I'd be moderately impressed.Edit: Per the 2013 year end report it looks like it's ALL those services, of which UV is only a tiny bit.http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/ces-vod-and-electronic-sell-through-spending-jumps-2013-says-deg-study/128323So you are counting the massive percentage from iTunes in that number, and iTunes has been selling movies since 2005

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
A 14% drop in disk sales is pretty significant. Trends like that don't turn around easily. They snowball.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bigshot said:
A 14% drop in disk sales is pretty significant. Trends like that don't turn around easily. They snowball.
Yes they do but the drop in disc sales would happen eventually as some people move from physical to electronic sell thru. Electronic sell thru will be over $1 billion dollars this year if the trend continues. Hardly chump change.As far as trends like that turning around one example is PC sales that are expected to drop only 2 percent this year vs. double digits last year.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Genuine thanks, this is newish, last I'd looked UV hadn't put out any numbers besides total accounts. But this is still a bit smoke and mirror ish. I'd like to see the original numbers and not filtered through DEG. Does this Digital Sell Through encompass all stores including iTunes, Amazon, PSN, XBL etc or is it JUST UV sell through? If it's exclusively UV I'd be moderately impressed.Edit: Per the 2013 year end report it looks like it's ALL those services, of which UV is only a tiny bit.http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/ces-vod-and-electronic-sell-through-spending-jumps-2013-says-deg-study/128323So you are counting the massive percentage from iTunes in that number, and iTunes has been selling movies since 2005
Yes I'm counting all DigitalHD electronic sell thru. This includes UV and iTunes. While iTunes has been selling movies since 2005 I expect we will see a continued increase of their sell thru. I like iTunes for many of their tv series. The quality of the files have been excellent as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.