What's new

Streaming Radio Station to HT Receiver (1 Viewer)

Lindel_Larison

Auditioning
Recently I tried to stream a radio station through my computer and input into my receiver (Denon AVR 3802). I used an adapter to go from my speaker terminal on my computer to 12 gauge speaker wire. The length is approximately 60 to 75 ft long. I couldn't get any sound out of my receiver. Then I hooked up my computer to my receiver with a small/cheap left/right audio cable that is approximately 4 ft long. Now, I can get sound out of my receiver, but it is very poor sound (I tried a music CD and get the same results). Now I have two problems: 1) My computer needs to be in a different room (i.e. 60 to 75 ft away) and 2) I have poor sound when it does work. I assume that there is too much signal degredation in the 12 gauge, 75 ft speaker wire. Do I need an amplifier?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Walker

Agent
I currently have the computer audio going to an older receiver and speaker set, although the cable is very short*.

I've done the reverse in the past - receiver (FM broadcast) RCA outs to computer sound card line-in 1/8" stereo plug. This allowed me to record directly to the hard drive. The sound quality was fine (considering its a computer sound card, not real audio equipment).

Either direction works buts its important to use only line-in or line-out (may say to amplifier or amplified speakers in sound card documentation). Don't use microphone-in or other jacks because its important to use a line-level jack.

Start with a 1/8" stereo plug to left and right RCA cable (like a RCA "Y" cable but the single plug end is 1/8" stereo plug). These are kind of hard to find so try a car audio shop. Unfortunately they are usually limited to 3-6'.

You can get a 25 foot long 1/8" stereo plug "extension cord". Buy a couple if you need to.

The only time I had sound quality issues was when I left the excess cable coiled up. After uncoiling it and spreading it across the floor the noise went away. I don't know but it could be because the 1/8" extension cord is pretty tiny (compared to say Canare 7.1mm coax). I suppose its generating coil induction or possibley picking up something electrical in the floor slab (before I move the cable around).

Good luck

John

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I would recommend what John said... however, I'm not sure how great it is going to be over that long a distance. I would imagine it will suffer some, the question would be how much.

John Walker

Agent
further to that I forgot to mention I did make my own 30' 1/8" stereo to two RCA cable once. It worked/works fine but what a pain working on twin coax that's only about 2mm in diameter. You have to be a micro surgeon because the copper strands are exceedingly small and brittle. Also, sourcing that twin tiny coax is tough.

That's why I suggested getting the "Y" cable at a car audio place and looking for the extension cable elsewhere (highly unlikely to find that at a car shop - unless mounting your amps in a trailer is popular in your part of the world!).

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks