1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Streak-free windows...How do you do it?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    For years, every time I clean the windshield in my car, it streaks and or leaves a haze. I've tried windex, a turtle wax glass cleaner, a Meguire's glass cleaner, a silicone cleaner from a glass tinting place (which works remarkably well on tinted glass as it should but sucks on non-tinted glass), 401 glass cleaner and about a half-dozen more non-ammonia cleaners. Ammonia-based cleaners can kill the tinted eyebrow so I don't use them on car glass, which is a shame because they work so well in the house.

I've tried using paper towels, soft cloths, newspaper and even tried a small squeegee which didn't work so well because of the curve of the glass.

And the results are... streaks and a haze.

What do you guys use to obtain a streak-free windshield?

2. LewB

LewB Well-Known Member

Autopia - Autopia Home

I use Stoner's 'Invisible Glass', cotton cloths and a lot of elbow grease. I don't always get it 100% streak free, but I get close.

3. brandonchenry

brandonchenry Well-Known Member

windex and newspaper works for me

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Well-Known Member

I use just water, a terry cloth and a lot of elbow greese.

5. drobbins

drobbins Well-Known Member

Windex & paper towels.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    I get streaks sometimes, so I'm no expert, but I think the best advice will be along the lines of method rather than products involved. For example, I've had better luck by cleaning small areas at a time rather than spraying and wiping the entire surface. Also, streaks seem to come during the second wipe for me--I'll spray, wipe the excess off, flip the towel to wipe a little more with the drier side, and then take a clean towel to finish. If I'm not careful with that last, I get streaks.

Someone who has it down pat, you might post your step-by-step method like that.

7. BrianW

BrianW Well-Known Member

Brian
    Same here. Newspaper is the key to streak-free windows. I'm not sure why, but cloth or even paper towels always leave streaks.

8. JonZ

JonZ Well-Known Member

I used to use newspaper, but now I just use windex and old shirts.

9. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Well-Known Member

Im In the glass business and when we do have to clean any windows store front or auto we use only one product. Spray Away Glass Cleaner. Its not a very well known product but it can be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

First spray the wind shield then with your hand rub it all around. This is going to break up any grease and grime on the windshield. Then with an old newspaper go to town. News papers work the best since there is NO LINT on it unlike paper towels and T-shirts. Apply again but just use a Newspaper this time. This should leave your wind shield streak free.Sprayway Glass Cleaner removes stubborn films on interior glass!

Good luck and happy hunting

10. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Well-Known Member

I've been using Sprayway for a few years now. Best glass cleaner I've used. It's also available at Sam's Club.

11. Mark Sherman

we buy it cases at a time. we dont go anywhere without "SPRAY" nothing else on the market comes close to the clean we get from spray away.

It works well on Glass cook tops, counters, sinks, showers, etc etc etc. I have been on Job sites and have been able to trade a can for a free lunch.

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Can you use it on tint Mark?

13. Mark Sherman

Id be carefull with tint. there are some specialty products out there but i Just dont know them off the top of my head