What's new

Strategic Air Command (1955). How bout Jimmy Stewart and the B-36 on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just was wondering about this title as I have not seen it ever released on DVD (it did get a VHS release long ago). Strategic Air Command starred Jimmy Stewart as a major league baseball pitcher recalled to USAF active duty. It also featured June Allyson.
I'd just love to see those B-36 action shots on Blu. And Jimmy Stewart too.

Six Turnin & Four Burnin!!

or
Two Turnin, Two Burnin, Two Jokin and Two Smokin with two engines unaccounted for.

StrategicAirCommand.jpg

Wiki Excerpt:

Strategic Air Command is a 1955 American film starring James Stewart and June Allyson, and directed by Anthony Mann. Released by Paramount Pictures, it was the first of four films that depicted the role of the Strategic Air Command in the Cold War era.
The film was the second film released in Paramount's new wide-screen system, VistaVision, in color by Technicolor and Perspecta directional sound. It would also be Stewart and Mann's eighth and final collaboration and the third of three movies that paired Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson, the others being The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Being a Paramount VistaVision production, SAC is likely to be released on disc via their distribution agreements with either Warner or Olive Films...let's hope it's Warner, since they do a better job of presenting their catalog titles...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I hope they include the three-channel Perspecta track.

I once had a 35mm print and played it through a restored integrator. Most of the audio was center channel but when the planes took off, the gain level increased and all three speakers kicked in.

It was VERY dramatic and those B-36 planes really shook the room!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
One of cinema's great screen couples - June Allyson & James Stewart. All of their films together are very special and deserve their chance on Blu. :)

10383079_10152277462212779_1848389691520919497_n.jpg
10420296_10152290734347779_5868315165141399028_n.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
The Glenn Miller Story is being released on blu-ray in Germany on 24 July.
Ditto The Benny Goodman Story. But are they all-region, or just Europe? It doesn't say on Amazon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember if I've ever seen this film, but I remember seeing Bombers B-52 on TV as a youth. I'd be interested in seeing both on blu ray! This reminds me I need to get the DVD of Bombers B-52.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I have the hard to find 1998 remastered widescreen 1:75 version on laserdisc and it looks quite good for the medium and i would think a blu ray would be exceptional. It was manufactured and distributed by Pioneer, it mentions "digital sound" but that is it so I have no idea if it is stereo or not.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Apparently one of the few VistaVision productions that were released with 8-perf prints, must have looked quite spectacular.There is a HD version out that looks dreadful so this would have to be redone - not likely to happy anytime soon if current Paramount catalog release policy is anything to go by. On top of that it is a relatively obscure title, even One Eyed Jacks probably has a better shot at being released.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
OliverK said:
Apparently one of the few VistaVision productions that were released with 8-perf prints, must have looked quite spectacular.There is a HD version out that looks dreadful so this would have to be redone - not likely to happy anytime soon if current Paramount catalog release policy is anything to go by. On top of that it is a relatively obscure title, even One Eyed Jacks probably has a better shot at being released.
Perhaps, box office totals don't mention much in today's DVD/Blu-ray market, but "Strategic Air Command" was tied for seventh place in terms of film rentals in 1955 ($6.5 million, which means it grossed about double that).

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
For all the technology that's currently available out there, there's no good reason why the studios can't release these movies either via on-line purchases for download, or burn-on-demand. Great movies like Strategic Air Command could be made available (distributed) at very little cost through direct sales, with no distribution costs (and their associated markups).

Like downloadable music, services like iTunes (not that I'm a fan of them) or something similar could make these available because they have the infrastructure to handle it. Price a movie reasonably, say for a flat $9.95 (or even lower) for an HD version, and they'll sell boatloads of them, and like music, price it low, and the notion of bootlegging kind of goes away. For example, a 2 hour Blu-Ray (HD) movie ripped and converted at ~5-6 MB/s is about 5-6 GB in size, well within a reasonable size for downloading, and still getting quite a good picture, even on a 60" HDTV. No, this isn't a Blu-Ray 1:1, but its certainly better than a low def DVD.

Being of the baby boomer generation, many of these 50's and 60's (and earlier) films are still fresh in our minds, where the current 18 to 35 demographic doesn't know, and probably doesn't even care that these films exist. They rather see the latest CGI, and not the works of Ray Harryhausen or George Pal. The studios can either tap into this large market segment (while it still can) and make it a good revenue generator, or not. If not, we all loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks