What's new

Strange British Laws (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits is unlawful in Chico, CA. The offense carries a fine of (IIRC) $500.

One law that inevitably shows up on lists of dumb law is from CT: You cannot buy alcohol after 9pm or or Sundays. Unlike most of the other silly laws, this one is for real, meaning it's still in effect and very much enforced -- and thus significantly less funny.

Believe it or not, until 3 or so years ago, it was 8PM.

--
H

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Liquor laws vary in stupidity from state to state. Unfortunately, in order to get the votes required to repeal Prohibition, the XXI Amendment has section 2, which reads
:thumbsdown:

So states may implement laws that would normally be unconstitutional in restricting access to liquor.

Dumb question: what are liquor laws like in the UK? Can you purchase beer, wine, and spirits in ordinary stores?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

For those of you too young to remember, Nuclear War once meant figuring out how many kilotons were needed to destroy a radio antenna.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you shot a man in Reno, wouldn't you be sent to a Nevada prison rather than Folsom prison? :confused:

About a hundred years ago in Idaho, the Legislature passed a law forbidding Mormons to vote. This law was only repealed in the early 1980s, although I'm sure the courts invalidated it much earlier.

So if Mormons couldn't vote, how did we get stuck with state liquor stores? :confused:

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here in the Bible belt many towns have laws against buying alcohol any time! It used to be the nearest town I could buy beer in was a 45 minute drive away. Just this past election though, the town 15 minutes away voted to allow alcohol sales at restaurants only. I think this is the stupidest law because, you have to drive home after drinking. :confused: I know we should have a designated driver, but what fun is a dinner for two if only one can drink? If they allowed packaged sales, we could drink at home and not risk any drinking & driving. So I still have to go 45 minutes away to get beer. Luckily I also work there.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I was buying two beers in the general store at Stovepipe Wells, in Death Valley. We were going to drink them immediately outside, and declined the paper bag since we could just carry them outside, but the clerk insisted on bagging them, saying "it's the law".

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd be less concerned about the law which says that liquor must be carried out of the store in a brown bag and more concerned about the law against drinking in public. Most places would label that as public intoxication :)

Marianne

Supporting Actor

In the United Kingdom, the sale of alcohol is restricted - pubs, restaurants, shops and other premises must be licensed by the local authority. The individual responsible for the premises must also hold a personal licence. Premises licences include on-licences (allowing consumption of alcohol on the premises) and off-licences (alcohol must be removed from the vendor and drunk elsewhere). Many on-licenced premises also permit off-sales.

The age at which people are legally allowed to purchase alcoholic beverages is 18 (but 16- and 17-year-olds can have beer, wine, and cider purchased for them by an adult as long as the adult remains with the young person, in restaurants and separate eating areas of pubs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks