What's new

Strange Brew DVD....where is it, you hosers? (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Any word on this? I watched this classic last night on *gulp* VHS......fortunately, I was comforted by the fact that my VHS copy is at least open matte and not P&S. It's still not OAR, but it's watchable (however, I would NEVER buy a non-OAR DVD).
Anyways, my ideal DVD of this would include a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, 5.1 sound, a couple featurettes, and a pair of commentaries....one with Bob & Doug in character, and another with Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas and anyone else commenting on the making of the film. This is basically patterned after the Princess Bride SE DVD and, to some extent, MGM's This Is Spinal Tap DVD, because they're both AWESOME single disc SE's.
-Tom

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Commentary by Bob & Doug...That would be GREAT!! Bob would have to be in one channel with Doug in the other.
biggrin.gif
This was one of my favorites throughout high school. It's still in my Top 10 list. If a DVD where made as you described it, at least one copy would be snatched up as soon as it hit the shelf.
My friend and I went to a Halloween party dressed as Bob and Doug once. We looked just like them. Those that asked who we were suppose to be weren't worth the effort to try and explain it. They still didn't get it even after a thorough explanation. But everyone else would immediately say, "Hey...Bob and Doug." By the way, I was Doug. When we were "fighting" over who got to go through the door first (for those that haven't seen the movie, you won't know what I'm talking about) my arm accidentally brushed up against a girl wearing white ghost make-up and I got white grease paint all up my sleeve.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Haha, Bob & Doug costumes, great! I hope you didn't shoot anyone with dart guns :). "Just because I don't know what it is, doesn't mean I'm lying."
-Tom

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, but how did the donuts in the pocket hold up? "It's a jellll-y". I know I'd buy a copy....as we have a anual Strange Brew party...beer hunter anyone?

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the link to the Studio Feedback thread.
"Yes, I bought this DVD at your store and when I opened it there was a MOUSE inside...and then my brother WATCHED it. So I would like a case of free DVDs please."
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yeah, like I bought your DVD, but the security stickers were hard to take off, eh.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I almost jumped out of my skin when I read that in the chat.....I dearly hope it has Rick & Dave commentary in character as Bob and Doug. A two-disc SE would be nice, but not really needed as the film is quite short. Thank you Warner!!!
-Tom

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
How about a Strange Brew SE packaged with a six-pack? I'd buy that...
biggrin.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
or some jelly donuts! I had to bribe a secretary with my last one.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna let go of the DVD.
No I'm gonna.
You let go.
I'm gonna drop it.
I mean it.
(DVD hits floor and snapper case breaks apart)
Dad, Doug broke your DVD.
Take off, no way. Bob did it.
I so freakin love this film I can barely stand the wait. At least we finally got definate word on it.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if Rick and Dave will still be interested in doing special things for the DVD after the crap they went through trying to make the sequel last year. That was a travesty. Hopefully that wasn't Warner's fault and they'll do some cool stuff.
------------------
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have this on LD. I'll have to check again to see if its FULL FRAME vs P & S. I'd love a DVD of it with extra's for sure. Whats more, I'd love the entire SCTV TV series on DVD. I still have loads of old SCTV VHS tapes, but I'm hungry for the whole deal on DVD.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Andrew chime in if you know more of the story. All I heard was that the beer ads tested whether there was still audience awareness of Bob & Doug, and there was, and they did the preproduction and were literally about to start filming when they lost funding somehow.
Related question: Was there more audio by Bob & Doug besides their GWN album? That is, were there any b-sides released that had skits that didn't make the album?
--
Don't kill bugs.
Because one day, someone might look at you as a bug.
And then...you're gone.

I can't wait to get this one! This movie is one of many hidden comedy classics. (I just picked up another comedy classic the Ruttles the other day)
I cant wait! When I get this one it will be a good day, ehh!?
Scott

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Was there more audio by Bob & Doug besides their GWN album? That is, were there any b-sides released that had skits that didn't make the album?
Yes. There was a "Soundtrack" album for "Strange Brew" that had lots of non-movie skits on it. I have it. Funny stuff.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried to teach my dog to put on a cape and fly, but no matter how many sausages or beers I offer him he still won't fly!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks