What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (1 Viewer)

erik bush

Agent
i have a nice leslie dame rack. (no pic yet) that was reported to hold 900 dvds but i think it's more like 700. i have 320 on it now tho, plus 300 cds. gonna hafta move those cds soon tho hehe.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I bought a book shelf which fits dvd's perfectly a few years back which has 5 shelves (must fit like 350 dvd's) which is almost filled(ive been keeping the top shelf open for season sets). A few months back i bought a crappy smaller rack for some more storage for my ST:TOS and Farscape discs which just isnt cutting it. So I decided to buy another of the unit i got a few years ago. Only problem is i bought it at caldor and they no longer exist :). Havent seen it anywhere else so i may have to just buy a huge unit for everything like i saw above
capt

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Another very satisfied Link Removed user here. It's impossible to appreciate just how nice the finish is on these units from a photograph. As others have mentioned, they are durable, expandable, and I think reasonably priced compared to other brands and considering that shipping is free.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I looked at the Boltz unit at a local dealer here, but I'm concerned by the fact that each rod has a relatively thick nut or some such component where it meets the side unit. It seems to me that the nut either presses into the case of the DVD on each end of the shelf or requires that the DVD rest on top of that piece so that it doesn't line up with the rest of the DVD's on its row. Have the Boltz users found this to be a problem, or is there some work-around?
This does seem to be a solution to storage at significantly less than $1.00/DVD, which I deem to be far too much.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Larry, it's not a problem. On some shelves I have the DVD that's on the end sitting on top of the nuts, which raises the case about a 1/4 inch higher than the others on the same shelf, but that just isn't a big deal. On other shelves I have all the DVDs level, but the DVD that's up against the nuts suffers absolutely no damage or markings from such contact. Again, it's not a big deal.
[Edited last by DonaldB on September 01, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Donald,
Thanks. I guess I'm just being too picky. I really like that the Boltz utilize more vertical space than many shelves and that they are (evidently) so easy to assemble.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
http://www.can-am.ca/
The CanAM cabinits are great for storing the most amount of dvds using the least amount of WALL SPACE. Because my room is small, I had to go with a storage solution that used the least amount of the wall. These cabinits are expensive, but are built like heavy duty office filing cabinets. My guests are impressed with the organization. I was not disappointed at not having my dvds displayed since this storage solution is "clean" and offers a less cluttered look to traditional shelves.
Elbert

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Me, I picked up a couple of VHS storage cabinets which can be locked down to place many of my VHS video tapes inside of.
However, as my DVD collection began to mushroom and take off, and I began to replace many of those VHS tapes with DVD (and laserdisc where applicable) editions, I then began to store my DVD's inside of them as soon as I found out they would fit nicely. Pending the case and its size, I can fit about up to 120 in each of them.
I have since filled up one of the cabinets and am about to fill up the second one. Therefore, I will now need to come up with a third one to begin filling another cabinet. The next one I get shall need to be placed atop one of the two for space limitations. But I am finding out it works like a charm for me and my collection. :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well today i ordered the $199 unit for Leslie Dame which says will hold 940 dvd's since many people have recommended it. Cant wait till it comes. Funny thing is I bought it and then there address pops up on the screen. The place is like 15 minutes from my house and ive never saw it before
:)
capt

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Joey,
You're gonna be unhappy when you learn that it holds 640 DVDs instead of the advertised (and very misleading) 900 figure (I'd read the earlier posts which indicated this).
I just got mine today. It's nice, but a bit shorter than I expected.

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Leslie Dame about a month ago.
It's a good value for the price (got it for $180).
I estimate it holds about 800+. I have over 500 DVDs.
My problem is since I put mine on a shelf, I lose the abiltiy to store DVDs on the top of the unit(holds ~120 DVDs).

David Oliver

Second Unit
This will either be a very important or a vey stupid question. What I have is a couple of racks that holds a total of about 115 DVD's. Unlike everything I have seen here however it holds them flat instead of upright. Each DVD goes in it's own 'slot' (for lack of a better term). This means I can store awkwardly sized DVD cases, like Lawrence of Arabia or [/i]Patton[/i]. So those all are stored upright.
The question is, is there a preferred way to, upright or flat, with respect to the health of the DVDs?

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
If you lay them flat, all the bits have a tendancy to slide towards the center of the disk....
If they are on end, the bits all pool towards the bottom
laugh.gif

So, in otherwords, no
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Tom Boucher on September 07, 2001 at 04:58 PM]

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
This will either be a very important or a vey stupid question.
That's not a stupid question. It would be very bad to store laserdiscs that way (horizontally). I'm not sure it makes too much difference with DVDs, though.
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ I've purchased one of the best storage units IMO from Damark for about $137. It is cherry stained and solid wood construction, but unlike many of the racks I've seen here is that it has two side opening clear glass doors.
What I really love about this particular setup is that it matches my cherry Synergy audio/video cabinet and the doors keeps dust and other particles to a bare minimum. It's almost like having one of those laywer book cases mentioned earlier but at a much lower cost and it is dimensioned for dvd/cd/vhs~NOT. I think media storage sleeves are the most clean and efficient way to go, but I love the appearance of my dvd collection in a piece of cherry wood furniture.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on September 08, 2001 at 05:46 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It would be very bad to store laserdiscs that way (horizontally).
Oooooh, I just GOTTA ask: Why?
I'm not an LD collector, so there's probably something about this that I've never had any reason to hear. But I cannot begin to imagine the laws of physics that require verticle storage of an optical media disc.
Lay the explanation on me!
wink.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Dave, the laserdiscs (having such a large diameter) would be prone to warping if on their sides; especially if other laserdiscs were stored on it. The ones on the bottom would be especially bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks