What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Some of us have talked about the Leslie Dame racks on the forum before, but tonight I got off my duff and snapped this shot (sorry for the weird angle - the shelf is on a wall in my breakfast nook and a straight-on shot would be too close):
Link Removed
As you can see, Wayne & Garth now occupy a spot of honor on the top shelf!
cool.gif

This rack holds 35 DVDs per each shelf section, for a total of 630 in this configuration. If you use the top shelf (great for box sets) add another 105 or so to that. In an earlier discussion some of us determined that by careful measuring & drilling you could relocate the fixed center shelf down a few inches to change the spacing to allow for a 7th DVD shelf (and another 105 DVDs). I'll probably buy another one this summer and set it up this way. The current one will then be used for CDs (out of the box these babies hold 1500 CDs!!!).
Price - $200 shipped from Link Removed . The item number is CD-1500 and it's available in oak (shown) and black finishes. Dimensions are 63-3/4" H x 65-5/6" W x 9-1/2" D. They also have smaller racks which are the same height but have only one or two sections. It's pretty easy to put together and is very stable up against my wall. I've been very happy with mine and recommend the unit without hesitation.
Update: I have successfully modified one of these to take 7 DVD shelves. See my post from 1/21/2002 on page 4 of this thread.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I don't store my 200+ discs in their cases. Instead I put them in protective sleeves and store them in a media cabinet. I print labels for the sleeves that contain the most important title information.
The cases are stored in two large Rubbermaid storage containers and are kept in my basement. This approach takes very little space in my theater area and it also keeps my cases in mint condition... since they're rarely handled.
------------------
[Edited last by Craig Cunningham on July 11, 2001 at 07:00 AM]

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have roughly 600+ DVDs now. I had two racks (from a company I can't remember) and they held about 250 DVDs each. They were great and looked very nice. However, I ran out of room and started putting DVDs on the floor. The problem was that I ran out of room for my racks so I was stuck. I got those CaseLogic cases that hold 40 DVDs each and placed all the Star Treks in one, and then started putting comedy/musicals in others. I saved space for about 150 DVDs and they're now in 3-ring binders. I put the empty cases in Hammermill boxes and threw them in the attic. I'll be using DVD Profiler to create a list of what's in the 3-ring binders since some of the sleeves aren't filled due to snappers (grrr!).
Mike

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Go to IKEA and pick up the Ivar modular bookshelves. You can expand them as you grow your collection. The cost is about fifty, sixty dollars for the two sides, another thirty for five shelves, five for the X support, and you can store about 250 DVDs for under a hundred bucks. I've got just about 200 DVDs on four shelves. With three more shelves, I can have about 350 DVDs on about $120 worth of bookshelf.
To get them to line up nicely, I went ahead and glued some square wooden dowels on each shelf.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Like others here I've gone the DIY route to save on cost and also to enable me to build racks that fit in various nooks and crannies and that have no wasted space. I use white pine as I like the way it looks unfinished and it's also pretty cheap and sturdy. I have one floor to ceiling case and then a few smaller cases that fit along the sides of my entertainment center. It's almost time for a new rack but I can't decide where to put it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got this cabinet from Lowes for about $100. Going back this weekend to pick up another... this one's full. I believe its made by Sauder. If not, its another one of those put-it-together-yourself brands. Not to difficult to assemble, and I like having the cabinet doors, instead of leaving my movies in plain sight.
cabinet.jpg

------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Another vote, here, for keeping the DVD's in binders (eg, the Caselogic cases that are so popular for CDs), and storing the boxes out of the way. Even if I had the space to display all the DVDs with cases on shelves, I don't know that I would: The cases get damaged over time from wear, take up a lot of space, and the money I save on buying furniture to store them on I simply spend on more movies.
(It's also a great S.O. appeaser, for those of you who find that not everyone in the house likes to see walls filled with plastic boxes on shelves... turns out she didn't think I spent too much on DVDs, she just didn't like to see an ever-increasing mass of DVD boxes piling up on an ever-increasing number of shelves....)

Dave Sutton

Agent
Don . . . about how many DVDs would you estimate would fit in your cabinet from Lowe's? 200? 300?
That's pretty close to what I've been looking for.
Thanks.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Craig said,
This rack holds 35 DVDs per each shelf section, for a total of 630 in this configuration. If you use the top shelf (great for box sets) add another 105 or so to that.
Just curious why the website says it will hold 960 dvd's while you mentioned it will hold 630...

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
I've got around 700 DVD's and over 3500 CD's. Storage has always been a problem and I see after reading these posts it's clear that almost everyone at one time or another runs up against a wall when they run out of space (either on racks or in the room you want to store the media in).
I've got to be honest that although I am interested in the cover art of the movies I purchase, I am most interested in the movies themselves. To that end, last year I began storing my DVD's in specially designed PVC plastic sleeves that are the width of a CD. The sleeves also have cloth protection for both sides of the movie. I then created catalogs out of DVD profiler that list both in Alphabetical Order and by genre, all of my movies. These PVC covers have tabs that list Movie Title, Director, Year, Rating, and Length (I exported this information from Profiler to a Word Template for printing).
I have saved all me cases in storage, but as of now I have my entire collection (700 movies) stored alphabetically in a rack that is supposed to hold 107 movies (It is 3/4 full).
Anytime we have guests, they look through our catalogs, pick a movie, and I pull it out of the rack.
I know it's alot more impressive to have all your movies or music diplayed so you can see it, but at some point (and I reached this point with my music a few years ago) space becomes a premium. I have spent years buying huge racks, running out of space, and then having to find other racks that don't end up matching because the manufacturer doesn't make the model I want anymore. I bought a house a couple years ago,and took one bedroom to exclusively hold my CDs. Once I went to PVC sleeves, my storage nightmare was eliminated.
I had at some point wanted to scan the covers or use the images out of Profiler to include in these PVC covers (there is a pocket for them), but it's very time consuming and while I often read the liner notes of a CD as I listen, I never look at a cover while I watch a movie.
I know this solition isn't for everyone, but it's been great for me.
------------------
David Rubenstein
My Theater: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28664.html

Keith M.

Second Unit
I actually went with the BillyBags DVD-PRO2000 and also added a 1000 extension kit... So i now have the DVD-PRO3000. As you could guess by the name, it can hold up to 3000 dvds and is literally from floor to ceiling. It is very well constructed of black metal. It was quite expensive, but worth every penny and can continue to expand, it is now housing over 800+ dvds with plenty of room for my 1000+ cds and future media purchases...Everything is made to order, so you can customize any of the products listed...
Check out there website:Link Removed

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Dave,
Its about full at 250 DVDs. That includes boxed sets, snappers, keepcases, etc...
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is the best way to store DVD's:
400 Disc Holder
Just buy one for every 400 discs you have - they can be daisy chained. It's so simple!
-Brett
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD's
[Edited last by Brett Glasscock on July 11, 2001 at 01:46 PM]

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
Talk about cheap!
My local Wal-Mart has these little four shelf pine and 'dowel rod' shelves, that sold for $15 each, that only stand about 3' tall by 22" wide and hold about 35/37 (35 if they are all snappers) DVD's per shelf, and each shelf has a sliding 'holder' to keep the media up right. (can also hold Audio CD's, VHS, and paperback books)
By taking two of these and 'not' attaching the 'feet' in the manor the instruction book says, one the second unit,.. but by using these 'feet' to attach one on top of the other one, making a unit that is now 48" tall with eight shelves that can hold at least 280 DVD's
With the fact that the DVD's do not sit on a flat shelf but tilt back a little, leaves less space that needs to be dusted!!
So for about $30 I have storage for 280 DVD's...
biggrin.gif

As you can tell from postings.. members here have found different ways to store their media ranging in prices from near free to thousands of dollars...
--David
------------------

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just curious why the website says it will hold 960 dvd's while you mentioned it will hold 630...
I've always wondered this myself. It's obviously incorrect. The number on CDs (1500) is correct, however. I don't care about the VHS number...
tongue.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 38 to go!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
quote: I've always wondered this myself.[/quote]This is also true for the Link Removed (Each shelf holds 18 standard DVD cases. Seven shelves = 126 DVD's per side. Four sides = 504 DVD's in one rack.)

Paul

[Edited last by Paul Hillenbrand on July 11, 2001 at 04:19 PM]

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've got my second rack on order - I can't believe I own between 250 and 300 DVD's!
The first I got from Costco but they don't sell them anymore. So here is the best deal I have found on a nearly-identical oak rod rack:
www.cdracks.com/Qstore/p000036.htm
They sell them for $155, much cheaper than other on-line vendors sell them for.
The problem with normal bookshelves is that they are too deep to fit in an out of the way place: usually about 11 inches deep. These rod racks are only about 7 inches deep.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, Fluffy Pumpkin, and Naughty Tuxedo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks