What's new

Stop-Motion Animation Software (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Does anyone here know of any software that will allow me to take jpg files from a digital camera and assemble them into a movie? I would like to do stop-motion animation, but digitally. I know the film equipment is available to do this, but c'mon, this is the 21st century!

I thought if anybody would know, this forum would. Thanks.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian! Yeah, what's up with this? This is a great question. I too have stop motion aspirations. Plus, how about time lapse stuff? I'd love to be able to do just what you're talking about. Hmmm...

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I dont know of any stop-motion programs (not saying there aren't any). Here's what I used to do. I used to shoot the shots then import the folder with the pictures into windows movie maker and one by one bring the images to the timeline. In the options under advanced you can pick a picture duration which basically translates to framers per second. I always brought it down to .25 or 4 frames per second and it looked smooth enough for my preference. If you have windows, that might be an interesting option.

Thats an option if you can't find a better way to do it.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, if you convert the pictures to .GIF format, you can make them into a .GIF animation, but I gather that's not quite what you want. Possibly something like the GIMP picture-editing package, or Adobe's current bundle, will make MPEG or at worst MJPEG files from images?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used Sony Vegas to do that and even put in some voice work that was easily sync'd on the time line with the animation. It's a hell of fun thing to do.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think a lot of the mid-to-higher end editing and compositing software can do this (I'm pretty sure you can do it in After Effects).

Tim Burton shot Corpse Bride this way, using a modified version of a Canon digital SLR.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Sony Vegas does it easily, with little effort from you. It can bring in an image sequence and automatically make each 1 frame and create the video for you. You just need to name the files in sequential order image001, image002, etc.

Pick it up for $99 at www.bhphotovideo.com (version 6)

Although I think most editors can do this, but I doubt you will find any as good as Vegas for a hundred bucks.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, everyone! I didn't think to look at video editing software, and Googling "stop-motion animation software" (no quotes) didn't turn up anything useful.

I'll give Sony Vegas a shot!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The full Sony Vegas is not $100. That's their consumer product based on Vegas. The full Vegas is $500-$1000.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
No it is the professional full version of Vegas 6 for $99, not Vegas Movie Studio which is the consumer version. It doesn't come with DVD Architect though. It went on sale just at BandH right before v7 was released last week.

Here's the link to the sale item: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It is an incredible bargain. Hell it is cheaper to buy that, then buy the upgrade to version 7, than just purchase version 7 on its own.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I ordered Sony Vegas 6.0, but I see that it requires Windows XP to run, which I don't have. So at some point, I'll have to purchase Windows XP to run it. Still, it looks like it's worth it, not just for stop-motion animation, but as a worthwhile tool to finally get my home videos digitized, produced, and archived. Thanks for the tip.

But in the mean time, I found THIS.

It's an open-source stop-motion program (called, what else, Stopmotion) for Linux. It's definitely a toy rather than a tool, but it looks like fun. And it's something I can get running while I'm arranging to build or acquire a WinXP box for the real deal, Vegas 6.0.
Matt, if you want, I'll be happy to get the Linux program up and running in the next week and report back. I don't know if you have ever run Linux, but if Stopmotion turns out to be a lot of fun, you may want to look into getting a Linux box up and running. And, hey, you can't beat free fun! :)

Thanks, again, for everyone's help.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I made a couple of Lego movies with my kids. We used Windows Movie Maker and it is free. :) I don't think any of them were longer than 3-4 minutes. My computer ran out of resources for longer movies though. If you just want to play, it is easy to learn. I could e-mail you a compressed video (under 4mb) if you are interested
Dave

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if you have a linux box but can't get a separate box to run winxp on, get vmware server (free) and run the stop motion software in a windows xp virtual machine.

CJ

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian, nope never tried Linux, but am eager to hear how your expirience goes. Free is always good, but I wouldn't mind throwing down $99 for a nice program. I've got a Canon 20D and a couple of nice lenses that I really want to use in this capacity. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks