What's new

Stooges Collection Vol. 5 1946-1948, March 17 (1 Viewer)

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

No, this confirms it.

Three Stooges Collection, The: 1946-1948 (2 discs) - DVD
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
After volume 5,is there 3 more sets to go for the 190 shorts to be on dvd? I hope they release a boxset containing all the shorts when they finish releasing these.Seems like it will happen,maybe next year.Will wait it out until I buy these.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I came across this on ThreeStooges.net's message boards while searching for something else:

From a "Paul Mular" on the fan club's Yahoo group...

"I should add that the proposed THREE STOOGES DVD sets from Sony are:

Vol. 5 1946, 1947, 1948
Vol. 6 1949, 1950, 1951
Vol. 7 1952, 1953, 1954
Vol. 8 1955, 1956, solo Shemp Shorts
Vol. 9 1957, 1958, 1959, solo Joe Besser Shorts

The years are release years, not production years.

This proposal was given to me last October by Sony. They want to put the Shemp solo shorts on the same set with his re-issue shorts to give
a reason to buy it. Lets face it, there are only two new Three Stooges shorts in Volume 8. I had suggested putting the Shemp solo shorts in their proper chronological order, in set #5. We shall see if they follow the original plan."

Are they going to re-release the movies?

Mular: "We never talked about re-releasing the existing movies, but I did bring up the Curly feature ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES and they are planning to release that one."

Have you heard about any extras in the future DVD's?

Mular: "They are thinking about extras on the last two sets as further incentive to purchase them. Details were not given."

Link

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
This sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe putting the Curly movie on the Besser disc will help its sales. Poor Joe Besser just doesn't get any respect.

Jon Baker

Second Unit

I'm actually anticipating the Curly Joe releases. From what I understand he was the inspiration for Hanna-Barbera's Snagglepuss.

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator

I really hope they stick to their original plan and we see the Shemp solo shorts released.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Well, Joe Besser isn't "Curly Joe." That's Joe DeRita. And DeRita wasn't in any of the shorts, just the feature length movies.

As for Snagglepuss -- a lot of the Hanna-Barbera voices were based on (or stolen from, to be more blunt) well-known comedians, and I think Snagglepuss is generally thought to be based on Bert Lahr. Of course, Besser seemed to steal a little from Bert Lahr, too, come to think of it. Unless you meant Joe DeRita for Snagglepuss. But I don't think you did. I can't imagine Hanna-Barbera or anyone basing anything on him.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

In fact, Bert Lahr did threaten legal action against Kellogg's when the company used Snagglepuss as the mascot for Cocoa Krispies in the 1960s. Lahr wanted a disclaimer stating that it was not his voice in the commercials, so they added the line: "Snagglepuss voice by Daws Butler."

The above proposal looks really good for the remaining Stooge shorts, hope it comes to pass. I'd like to have a professional DVD copy of "Rockin' In The Rockies" too, though I wonder how it would fit in with Besser shorts...however they release it, I'm happy as long as it's out. (I remember some fan "disgruntlement" when Sony released a couple of Curly shorts as "extras" with some of the later features.)

Any word on "Have Rocket, Will Travel?" It was on VHS but it's the lone holdout among the later Sony-held Stooge features. (Also not a Normandy production -- wonder if that's a factor?) But then, "Stop! Look! And Laugh!" made it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks