What's new

Stonehenge, Where the Demons Dwell... (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Last week I was reading Ebert's Great Movie review for Spinal Tap. He comments on the great setup for the famous Stonehenge scene. Having seen the film too many times to count, I didn't really feel the impact of what he was talking about. However, I watched it again with a few friends who had never seen the film (unbelievable but true) and, watching their reactions, it became clear what an amazing sequence it really is.
Anyone else have similar experiences viewing well-worn films with a new eye?
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
The one that comes easily to me is also from Tap, when I showed my gf a few years ago. I had always heard "Isle of Lucy" and never thought that it was supposed to be a joke. But she laughed like hell, then I got it. "I Love Lucy".

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Anytime I show off my system to people who've never heard it before. Also buying movies and hearing them in 5.1/seeing them in widescreen for the first time.
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The Isle of Lucy joke was used before in Kentucky Fried Movie (in Fistful of Yen).
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I still like "If You See Kay, Tell Her I Love Her", better.
f.u.c.k. tell her I love her.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
'Tap' is all about repeat viewings. The reactions, facial expressions, etc. of every character on screen is great. One of my favorites, because its so easy to miss, is the guy standing behind the "It's like you're one with the band" girl in the opening sequences.
He is so trying to look down her blouse without getting caught. Eyes to the camera, eyes to the chest, eyes to the camera, eyes to the chest.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
That guy at the beginning was another new thing I caught in that viewing. He was hilarious. I'm surprised he didn't burn a hole in that dress!
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Sarah S

Second Unit
I always like it best that Nigel, the bassist gets caught in the chrysalis & is freed just in time for the end of the song & back into the chrysalis.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't until I was a bit older before I could truly appreciate the brilliant lyrics of "Big Bottom".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe it was my fourth or fifth viewing of Tap before I heard the faint voice in the crowd yelling "Do Stonehenge" after one of the early concert scenes. If I said which one, it would be spoiling the fun of listening for it for those who haven't heard it yet.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

John Torrez

Second Unit
I've never seen this movie but it sounds hillarious. Should I go out and buy the dvd or rent it first?
------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: I've never seen this movie but it sounds hillarious. Should I go out and buy the dvd or rent it first?[/quote]I am way too much a fan of this film to offer a level-headed assessment, so of course I'm saying "buy it". Unlike most titles I purchase, the re-watchability factor on this one actually merits a purchase. I am on my third copy and considering my fourth since its initial release on VHS. I can't believe I haven't purchased the latest MGM release yet with the anamorphic transfer and 5.1 re-mix, but it's only a matter of time.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 13, 2001 at 02:12 PM]

The commentary is nearly as funny as the movie itself - especially the Jerry Maguire spoof near the end
------------------
I am funkier than you

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Some of the best facial expressions are by Ian Faith, the manager:
"money talks, and bullshit walks" (Bobbi Flekman talking about the album's cover problem)
"this bread is unacceptable" (Nigel complaining about the dressing room food)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ahh, what a classic movie. Our first drummer, died in a bazzare gardening accident, our next choked on vomit, but it wasn't his vomit, you can't dust for vomit.
The review for Shark Sandwich, is 2 words, shit sandwich.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks